Small external monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Trustee

Small external monitor

Hi
Is there an external small (about 7") monitor that you can connect onto the Sony camcorder (Z5 is the one I have) that can also display some status settings like the build LCD monitor?

Stelios
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Stelios - I've moved this to our monitor forum. Quite a number of external monitors will do this, just read through other posts in this forum. Depends on what you want in terms of price and quality, there's a big range of both.

There should be a menu option on the Z5 that controls whether the status display is sent to the external screen. However, some things won't display on the external screen, such as focus peaking and zebra patterns IIRC.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Boyd for your answer. What I have in mind is the ikan V8000HDMI 8" at $795 although I see that they have a new one now the V5600 5.6" for $699 with higher resolution (1021 x 600) Vs the V8000HDMI (800 x 480). I wonder if the difference in resolution is important as I always shoot in SD and not HDV. Also I see that the DP1 monitor is having good reviews here but unfortunately it requires it's own battery to work where as the iKan V8000HDMS can use the Sony L type batteries with a special bracket that fits at the back of the monitor.
Again if I only shoot in SD 16:9 is the resolution 800 x 480 OK?

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; September 8th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Major Player

If it was me, I would choose the smaller, higher resolution, cheaper Ikan monitor. The more resolution you can have, the easier it would be to nail critical focus, even if you are shooting SD. Not to mention that you would have less bulk on the camera and more bulk in your wallet. That all sounds good to me.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Stelios I just got one of these if you are after a lower budget monitor and have posted a report on it elsewhere in this section:Allcam 7" Portable Analog & Digital TV Freeview: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Hi Stelios I just got one of these if you are after a lower budget monitor and have posted a report on it elsewhere in this section:Allcam 7" Portable Analog & Digital TV Freeview: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Gary
This Allcam monitor is not a HD one is it? and I couldn't find your report. If you can post a link please.
I am thinking now of getting the ikan V5600 HDMI one. Anyone here bought this monitor?

Stelios
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Trustee

No Stelios it is not HD .

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software