SonY 8" PVM 8041Q field monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #16
Regular Crew

monitor

Boyd,
No misunderstanding as I said I did check the component analog out and it was set to just that. This is a standard def monitor Shaun you say that component can be SD or HD
well from my experience with this monitor all I can get is black n white or green when switched to component out on my camera. I've tested my camera on another monitor with component and it works fine. I will just use the s-video to component cable to resolve this on the sony thanks for all your help.

shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #17
Wrangler

I'm not familiar with you camera. But on the Sony Z1, for example, there's a setting for component format where you can select (IIRC) 1080i, 480i or 480p. That was what I suggested you check. Sorry if it wasn't clear. For your monitor I think the 480i setting would be appropriate.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Shawn: it sounds like you may have the connections wrong if you're getting some kind of image. On my 200's, my outputs are labelled: Y, PB and PR which I believe in Sony speak translates to:
Y = Y (or green cable)
PB = B-Y (or blue cable)
PR = R-Y (or red cable)
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

monitor

Shaun,
believe me I know I got the right colors hooked I tried different cables thinking
I had a bad one but I didn't. It works fine when i'm in dv mode but once I switch to HDv
component no color picture. oh well thanks for help anyway guys.

shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, if your component outputs work in DV and not in HDV it's the Downconvert Setting. I'll see if I can find a copy of the owners manual online.
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I've PM'ed resident JVC expert Tim Dashwood to see if he can help shed some light on this.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #22
Major Player

It's probably similar to my PMW-EX1. With component out I can only get a black and white image with my inexpensive little Sony DVD player using the green connector only. Good enough for focusing and possibly exposure level if you calibrate it properly. If I want more than that I need the SDI out and a whole bunch more money spent with dubious cost/benefit results.

In the owners manual for your camera there should be a section that explains what kind of signal is output with various menu settings. It may possibly be a little confusing, but it should be in there.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
It's probably similar to my PMW-EX1. With component out I can only get a black and white image with my inexpensive little Sony DVD player using the green connector only.
Well you are trying to use component video to drive a composite monitor. The OP says that his monitor actually supports component video. Portable DVD players don't.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software