DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   SonY 8" PVM 8041Q field monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/375003-sony-8-pvm-8041q-field-monitor.html)

Shawn Kessler September 8th, 2009 12:13 PM

SonY 8" PVM 8041Q field monitor

Hello guys.
Got a problem if you plug in to component with this monitor. My camera is the JVC GYHD-100 with the component out to it shouldn't you get a color picture. I either get black n white or just green with the different button combinations. my camera is set to component out i've also tried every combination imaginable with no success. What the heck i'm I doing wrong? i've tried different cables with no avail. I've also tried it on a26" lcd worked perfect so I don't think its my camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Boyd Ostroff September 8th, 2009 12:41 PM

Maybe a problem with sending HD component video to a SD monitor? Is there a setting on your camera for component format?

Shawn Kessler September 8th, 2009 12:44 PM

8" monitor

Yes there is a setting for that still no luck. Boyd let me ask you this if I wanted to calibrate color
in SD mode would that not work?

Boyd Ostroff September 8th, 2009 12:51 PM

Sorry, that gets a little beyond my area of knowledge, but my understanding is that colorspace is different between SD and HD. Maybe someone else can give a better answer...

Boyd Ostroff September 8th, 2009 12:52 PM

Also - have you tested the monitor with another source of component video? Most DVD players have component output. That would be one way to determine if the problem is in the monitor/cable.

Shawn Kessler September 8th, 2009 01:02 PM

cables ok

Thanks Boyd!
that seems to be working I think im going to try one of those s-video to component cables at least I can get a little more detail.

Shawn

Shaun Roemich September 8th, 2009 03:45 PM

Do you have the camera set to downconvert to SD? The monitor in question won't accept HD signals.

Shawn Kessler September 8th, 2009 03:50 PM

donconverting

HOw is that done on the GYHD -100 if it can?

Shaun Roemich September 8th, 2009 04:20 PM

I've got a 200 so I'm not sure if it's the same. Check the manual.

Greg Laves September 8th, 2009 05:36 PM

I might be missing the boat here. But are you using component out (YUV) or (RGB) or composite out? If you are using a single RCA out connection, I think that would be just composite out and it is probably SD only. I have had several (5) of the Sony PVM 80xx field monitors and one did exactly like yours. It would produce a green picture or a B/W picture only. No color. It was a bad monitor. Actually, all of the Sony PVM 80xx series monitors that I had are all dead.

Shawn Kessler September 8th, 2009 05:41 PM

8" monitor

Greg,
Ive got component out (YUV)on my camera to the component in on the sony.
apparently this monitor only accepts SD. Im going to use a s-video to component
to get some kind of decent picture from it.

Greg Laves September 8th, 2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler (Post 1329030)
Greg,
Ive got component out (YUV)on my camera to the component in on the sony.
apparently this monitor only accepts SD. Im going to use a s-video to component
to get some kind of decent picture from it.

I don't have a JVC, so I don't know how they are set up. But I think that the component output from my camcorder (RGB) is a different type of output than the Betacam YUV component out. The S-Video out to S-Video in should work.

Boyd Ostroff September 9th, 2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1328672)
Do you have the camera set to downconvert to SD? The monitor in question won't accept HD signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler (Post 1328675)
HOw is that done on the GYHD -100 if it can?

I'm getting lost here, I thought we covered this earlier....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1328090)
Maybe a problem with sending HD component video to a SD monitor? Is there a setting on your camera for component format?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler (Post 1328095)
Yes there is a setting for that still no luck.

Shaun Roemich September 9th, 2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1332265)
I'm getting lost here, I thought we covered this earlier....

I was trying to confirm that the OP had set the analog component outputs to SD as analog component can be either HD or SD, which not every one always understands.

FTR: (and not for Boyd)
Analog Connections
- composite (one connector) is SD only
- S-Video (4 pin DIN connector) is SD only - ALSO available in 2 connector and generally called Y/C, not S-Video (early Hi-8 cameras sometimes had this)
- Component (3 connector) can be HD or SD

Digital Video Connections
-SDI/HD-SDI (one connector - BNC) can be Sd (SDI) or HD (HD-SDI)
-HDMI
-DVI (although usually computer based RGB video)

Boyd Ostroff September 9th, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1333164)
I was trying to confirm that the OP had set the analog component outputs to SD as analog component can be either HD or SD, which not every one always understands.

Right. I think Shawn misunderstood that distinction when he said he checked the setting on the camera.