DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Cheap 7" field monitor FYI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/377190-cheap-7-field-monitor-fyi.html)

Gary Nattrass September 9th, 2009 01:40 AM

Cheap 7" field monitor FYI

I am awaiting delivery of a decent res 7" field monitor but wanted a cheap and acceptable one for the time being until it arrives and to double as a larger screen for the canon HF11.

I bought one of these from amazon:Allcam 7" Portable Analog & Digital TV Freeview: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It is actually very good as it is compact and self contained with the rechargeable battery integrated into the back. The picture is excelent for a cheap 7" screen , I have even been doing focus pulls with it on the HPX-301 and I am surprised at the resolution and colour balance.

OK it still has 3.5mm inputs and the manual leaves a lot to be desired but it is rubber covered and also has a USB and SD port for playing back video or stills pictures.
Here is a quick overview:YouTube - Allcam Orbit 7" LCD TV/MONITOR for £99 from amazon

Nicholas de Kock September 9th, 2009 12:54 PM

Thanks for the review!

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 10th, 2009 03:41 PM

Yes indeed.I ordered one straight after reading your review and Amazon UK should deliver it tomorrow...

Chris Swanberg September 10th, 2009 05:26 PM

How is its performance in daylight conditions if I might ask?

Gary Nattrass September 11th, 2009 01:42 AM

Its quite bright and will be Ok in daylight but like all small monitors will need a sunshade, we dont get much sun here in the UK so its not a problem. I will be generally be using this inside and once the HD monitor come it will just be a back-up or for the director.

Jim Snow September 13th, 2009 05:30 PM

Does anyone know a US source for this monitor in an NTSC version?

David Johns September 16th, 2009 04:23 AM

Gary, is there any way of attaching it to the camera - is there a tripod screw hole on the bottom or somesuch? Or do I need to get out the gaffer tape and blu-tack?

Matt Newcomb September 24th, 2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1349862)
Does anyone know a US source for this monitor in an NTSC version?

Amazon.com: Axion AXN-8701 7-Inch Widescreen Handheld LCD TV with Built-In Tuner, Black: Electronics

Like that?

Jim Snow September 24th, 2009 03:47 PM

Thanks Matt. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this model?

Rowby Goren October 24th, 2009 10:19 AM

9 Inch Battery operated Axion (Field) monitor

I have ordered this 9 inch version of the Axion monitor from Amazon.com $142.58 US Dollars. I should have delivery in the next few days. I'll post a video review of the monitor when I get it. I want to use it as a field monitor. The claim is 2 hours of playback after a 7 hour charge.

Amazon.com: Axion AXN-8905 9-Inch Widescreen Handheld LCD TV: Electronics

...Rowby

Kevin Walsh October 29th, 2009 05:06 PM

Has anyone tried this yet? AUVIO™ 7" High-Resolution Portable Digital TV - RadioShack.com
800X480 should look pretty good on a 7" monitor.

Rowby Goren October 29th, 2009 05:25 PM

Hi

I will be picking up this one in the next day or so: (Ity's the 9 inch monitor version)

Amazon.com: Axion AXN-8905 9-Inch Widescreen Handheld LCD TV: Electronics

Rowby

Rowby Goren October 30th, 2009 10:42 PM

I am looking at my Axion 9" portable TV AXN 8905.

First off you should know that the audio and video imputs are red/white/yellow rca. There is no HDMI connection. I assume that is the same on the Axion 7 inch portable TV.

At the moment I am researching HDMI adapters to RCA. I may have found one: HDMI to RCA RGB YPbPr Audio Video AV Cables Converters ixBay.com

I will do more research on these adapters

Of course if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, fire awy.

...Rowby

Sean Hill October 31st, 2009 08:51 AM

Re:Cheap Field Monitor FYI

Great post! I'm also looking to get a small 7"-9" monitor for the rig I'm putting together. I'm curious to know how it will look when I'm recording HD footage. I like the iKan monitors but too expensive and I can't see myself spending that kind of money on just a little monitor that I'm only using to view while recording.

I'll do some research too, because if the Axion 9" or any other brand monitor works well, that will be the way I'll go also. My concerns will be how well the viewing looks when using a hdmi cable adapter & how can I mount it to a rig...etc. If anyone else knows a good alternative monitor setup please help.... Thanks.. :)

Kevin Walsh October 31st, 2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowby Goren (Post 1440535)
I am looking at my Axion 9" portable TV AXN 8905.

First off you should know that the audio and video imputs are red/white/yellow rca. There is no HDMI connection. I assume that is the same on the Axion 7 inch portable TV.

At the moment I am researching HDMI adapters to RCA. I may have found one: HDMI to RCA RGB YPbPr Audio Video AV Cables Converters ixBay.com

I will do more research on these adapters

Of course if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, fire awy.

...Rowby

The inputs you describe are for composite video with L&R audio, the adapter in the link is for component video.