Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor

In my current setup, I have a 13" NTSC monitor set above my CRT computer monitor. The NTSC monitor sits on a shelf about 3" above the computer monitor. When powered up, the NTSC monitor creates electromagnetic interference with my comp. monitor. The interference creates horizontal lines and makes it very hard to read screen clearly. Any ideas to isolate the monitors to reduce this problem? I am considering a piece of sheet metal to slide under my NTSC.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can set your computer monitor's refresh rate to 60hz, although that doesn't really solve the problem and your eyes will hurt when you look at the computer monitor too much.

You can try sliding a sheet of metal in between, but I don't find it helps.

The best thing to do is to move the monitors away from each other, like:
Put them side by side, with a few inches in between
Put a phone book under the NTSC monitor (this may create ergonomics problems when you're looking up too much?).

Or, have a LCD screen between the CRT computer monitor and the NTSC monitor.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Major Player

try changing the hz of the pc monitor. sometime it might help.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've found that going up high like 100 hert (if video card allows) helps. Usally its workable although if you look close at the monitor it still kinda shakes.
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Re: Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Tori : In my current setup, I have a 13" NTSC monitor set above my CRT computer monitor. The NTSC monitor sits on a shelf about 3" above the computer monitor. When powered up, the NTSC monitor creates electromagnetic interference with my comp. monitor. The interference creates horizontal lines and makes it very hard to read screen clearly. Any ideas to isolate the monitors to reduce this problem? I am considering a piece of sheet metal to slide under my NTSC. -->>>

Do you know if your NTSC monitor has a speaker inside? That is indeed likely to produce eletromagnetic interference.

If not it might be the transformers inside.

A steel or iron sheet metal may improve things a bit, as long as it covers the magnetizing area.

Changing the CRT monitor frequency would also improve things. On my monitor I get better results at 75Hz, but you should try others.

You may also get a mu-metal supplier through Google and get yourself a mu-metal sheet. They might not be large though.

But my stronger guess is an speaker might be causing the problem. If that is the case it might not be easy to solve, only putting the NTSC monitor away until distortion is gone.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software