Hooking up a CRT or LCD monitor to a Canon XL2-anyway? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hooking up a CRT or LCD monitor to a Canon XL2-anyway?

I'm wondering if there is anyway to hook up either a

KDS 19 Inch LCD(DVI and VGA)

or a

Samsung SyncMaster 955DF

up to a Canon XL2 Video Camera and use it as a emergency video monitor for one day.

Any way to connect the two?

The XL2 is not mine and as such I don't have in front of me, however both monitors are in front of me if that helps.

Any Suggestions?
Hal Wolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hello Hal,

Welcome to DV-INFO. There is no connector on the XL-2 that would get you there directly. However, you could use the firewire output of the camera into your pc which would in turn connect to the monitor. For XL-2 owners, Canon has a basic capture utility that would get the image to the LCD.

Hope this helps although I'm sure this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Any way to adapt one of the video outs on the XL2 to either of these?
Hal Wolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

You could use a converter.. There a VGA DA converters. They aren't that large...

Interesting enough that a lot of high end LCD monitors now come with converters on board and take s-video, composite and component video inputs in addition to d-sub , dvi and vga
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

you mentioned that a tv monitor would be hard to hook -up, my question is, I have a G4 Powerbook, can I hook my XL2 to the laptop and monitor a live feed through eith er imovie or FCP?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #6
Trustee

painless

Yes...that works with no problem at all - and its perfectly painless via firewire. I monitor live feeds all the time doing field stuff with my cameras. I use both a Powerbook G4 (1.25 Ghz) - and an 800 Mhz ibook and monitor using iMovie - not too much strain on the powerbook.

(I have read somewhere that you can also capture directly into Quicktime - although I suspect that the article in which I read that was likely mucking up the specs. I use QTPro for lots of stuff, but I haven't explored any direct capture options - though I hear that the new QT7 will offer this feature - with multiple audio track capture no less - hope it's true)

This would not be a solution if you are mobile unless you are into pain and fear of damaging your gear - and it is not likely to be the most accurate visual represention of the captured image quality as compared to a professional monitoring solution, but it is pretty handy for quick framing and a decent idea of what to expect. (If you have enough hard drive space, this also works as a hard disc capture backup system)

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Fritsche : my question is, I have a G4 Powerbook, can I hook my XL2 to the laptop and monitor a live feed through either imovie or FCP? -->>>
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #7
Major Player

I have been staring at dual head monitors at my edit bay for quite some time. When I upgraded to lcd screens, I made sure one of them had s-vid, composite inputs. This has been invaluable. Being that it is so light and uses a standard power cable, it goes out the door with me on demos, sporting event shoots as a viewfinder and a monitor for small producitons.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software