As promised - HD field monitor for Z1U (pics inside) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Major Player

As promised - HD field monitor for Z1U (pics inside)

Here's the initial thread discussing the features....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=41823

And here are some photos of it mounted to the stand I retrofitted for it:

*disclaimers*
- these pictures suck. Looking at the monitor with my bare eyeballs....is gorgeous!
- the photo with the slate is from a shoot we are shot last weekend. This is a DAILY DVD i am showing you. The image is stretching because I am taking pictures of the Monitor in "full screen" mode, but the video is really recorded to the DVD "letterboxed". This weekend, I will employ this new HD field monitor on a real set, and record my Dailies in "Squeezed" from now on, now that I have a widescreen field monitor. *smile* (i'll have the unit photographer take pictures of us using it on a real set and post them as well.
- The gorgeous Picture-in-Picture girl is Kellie Madison (writer, actress). We shot that yesterday during a Z1U vs. DVX test shoot for a movie we will be shooting mid April. Needless to say, we'll be using the Z1 *smile*. For this PIP/POP/PBP example, The DVX tape is being played back in another sony camera.

1. Here is the new setup on the stand. pretty cool huh? Guess what I used??................ A HEAVY DUTY Music Sheet Stand I picked up from Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. *smile* It's PERFECT. More then strong enough, more then sturdy enough, collapses very small, can be set very low, and raises more then tall enough:

2. Here's the backside of the monitor/stand. As you can see, I neatly installed the power cable and Component cables inside the back to remain permanent, so easy hook-up and mobility is achieved when on set:

3. Here's a sideview of all the hookups. There are even more on the bottom where the components come from:

4. Here is a couple Picture-IN-Picture examples for ya. notice the smaller image in the upper right hand corner. it can be adjusted to 3 different sizes, can be moved to any corner of the monitor, and can be additionally moved around anywhere I want the image in its quadrant. ALSO, THE COO PART...it can be set for 'transparency' levels, so that you can see through it! *smile* in this example, it is set at 33% transparency:

5. Here is the Picture-OUTSIDE-Picture example. It has 3 modes. 1-what you see, 2-alternates 3 rotating images down the right side, 3- alternates 12 images around a center main image. SInce I dont use this for flipping TV channels, only #1 is worthy of field usage. Only thing that sucks is, the big MAIN image will only be shown in 4:3. There's no way to make it 16:9. The smaller image is however 16:9 OR 4:3:

6. And finally, here is the Picture-BY-Picture. VERY COOL and extremely useful for DUAL CAMERA SHOOTS. You can basically monitor both feeds on one field monitor. Only thing that sucks is the LEFT IMAGE is only stretched to the top, no other settings but stretched (that sucks but is doable), and the RIGHT IMAGE is only 4:3, no 16:9 for the right side...that sucks too, but is doable:

I hope you enjoyed this little tour, as I like to share my experiences with my online friends who do what I do. I chose this monitor SPECIFICALLY for the PIP/POP/PBP features and its 1280x768 resolution and it takes my Z1U's 1080i component in no problem. If you dont need this stuff then there are many others for less. I paid $456 bucks for this puppy direct from Dell off eBay. I recommend it.

Remember, all of these images can be "SWAPPED" with a flick of the remote.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, that really looks incredible Shannon.

I'd like to get one of these setup in a home studio.

Did you pay the full ~$700 for it or did you get it on special deals?
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Shannon,
How about a manufacturer's model number on that music stand. Your setup is perfect!
Thanks,
Ben

Here is the new setup on the stand. pretty cool huh? Guess what I used??................ A HEAVY DUTY Music Sheet Stand I picked up from Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd.
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for taking the time to share your setup. That's pretty sweet!

That's going to be quite a hood when shooting outdoors!
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Brandon, did you ask me if I paid full price??? *cough* FULL PRICE??? I can't remember the last time I paid "FULL PRICE" for anything! I even ask the McDonalds cashier to throw in some extra fries with my combo meal...*smile* I got the monitor for $456 bucks.

Ben, It is the DELL W1900 model. The model number on the stand....umm, lemme go find it where you can buy it.....

BRB

ok, i'm back... Sorry, I couldn't find My EXACT MODEL online. I got it over the counter from Guitar Center, and they charged me....ummmm... "Full Price. LOL It was $39.95. I knew I could have probably found a equivalent or better one online, but I needed it right away and didn't want to wait to save $10 bucks. Here are some comparable ones FOR LESS you can choose from....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/452025/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/450812/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/452040/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/450203/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/450210/

[url]

Mike, thanks...and yes, I know...I'm not sure how I'm going to design it. Maybe some black cardboard or maybe someting tht can fold up small. *shruggs* I'll figure something out.

- Shannon W. Rawls
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Shannon, you should watch "Super Size Me"!

This is actually kinda funny, but I hadn't eaten at McDonald's in over 5 years. I cut out almost all fast food from my diet. After seeing "Super Size Me" I just HAD to eat at McDonald's. I went and wouldn't you know - I felt like crap about 30 minutes later. The very next day...well, let's just say "crap" and McDonald's go hand in hand!!
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Shannon, the set up is gorgeous, way to go.
As for the hood:
Home hardware sells plastic sheets. Get one, black it inside (thin foam) and Velcro it across the top. Folds down to cover the screen for transport and up for work (you will work something out to hold it up from the sides I am sure)
You could even put a handle (suitcase stile) on top for convenience... *smile*
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks shannon - you gotta great deal- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Here's a few snapshots on the set using the monitor with Z1U in CF24.....

Click Here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-f3p3zg

- ShannonRawls.com
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Dell W1900

Hi Shannon,
I picked up one of these on e-bay this afternnon. My FX1 will arrive on Tuesday.

You talk about a kid in a candy store!

Only thing, though, I haven't shared this wonderful information with my spouse yet!

Pray for me,
Ben
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Re: Dell W1900

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Hardy : Hi Shannon,
I haven't shared this wonderful information with my spouse yet!

Pray for me,
Ben -->>>

*rasing hands to the heavens* "Oh Lord I pray.....please let your ear be attentive to the prayers of your servent and the prayers of your servents who desire to fear your name.......and let your mercy fall upon Ben's wife when she takes a look at their checking account balance....and when she witnesses the shortcomings, Lord I pray you allow her to restrain......Lord allow her to steer clear of any sharp objects while Ben sleeps at night......Lord, when she realizes Ben has new toys and she is still wearing old dresses and worn out high heels, please Lord, JEALOUSY BEHAVE!!! Oh Lord I pray.........amen"

- ShannonRawls.com
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

It Worked! It Worked!

Thank you! Thank you! Your prayer worked!

Tonight, I mentioned very casually that we had ordered a "better" camera to rejuvenate our Video business and received not even a snicker!

You're a Genius!
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Re: It Worked! It Worked!

*smile* Glad it worked. I really did pray for you.

- Shannon W. Rawls

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Hardy :
You're a Genius! -->>>
That's what the business card says... http://shannonrawls.com/bizography.htm *smile*
Old April 10th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Re: Re: It Worked! It Worked!

<<<-- Originally posted by Shannon Rawls :
That's what the business card says... http://shannonrawls.com/bizography.htm *smile* -->>>

Shannon, you are the shit. Seriously, we need more people like you who a) aren't afraid to admit that they are very good at something, and b) don't take themselves too seriously.

That is truly a brilliant business card, can't believe I didn't think of it first :)

Seriously, if you ever swing by Atlanta, give me the heads up. I'd like to meet up and at least exchange ideas.

Later,

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #15
Major Player

>>>>>That is truly a brilliant business card, can't believe I didn't think of it first :)<<<<<<

Because only a genius thinks like a genius! (lol, rotf).......
HE is, we're knot.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software