Monitor size vs effective dpi dilemma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Monitor size vs effective dpi dilemma

I have tried to get this question answered on the EX forum, but my thread has been inconclusive :

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ctive-dpi.html

So here it is again:
From your experience, which is easier for focusing: a larger monitor with slightly less pixels per inch, or more pixels per inch in a smaller form? Assuming no focusing aid is available (no peaking, no expanded view, etc.).

Say we have a 11" 1366x768 vs a 9", 1280x768; all other things equal, which one would be better for pure focusing purposes?
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Depends how far away from the monitor you are. If you're 5 feet away, larger size will help more. If you're closer, sharpness is the only thing that matters so it wouldn't necessarily be the DPI but how the actual camera pixels are mapped to the display pixels that counts.

I shoot 1280 x 720 so MY preference would be the monitor that allowed 1:1 pixel mapping so I could see my full image displayed in the centre of the screen instead of remapped to "FILL" the monitor. But I suspect you are talking about 1080i or p.
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes Shaun - I mean mainly 1080p (through HDMI, or component). And a very close distance, usually (like 0.5 m).

I'm tempted by the 9" version being less bulky than a 11" - but will it be better to judge focus, as well? Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to compare the two side by side, so will be very grateful for a sound advice...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software