Anybody have any experience with these JVC 9" SD/HD monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Anybody have any experience with these JVC 9" SD/HD monitors?

JVC Professional Features page

Looking to mount a pair in my road case for Preview and Program monitors for multicamera live switched and also eventually use them as location monitors as needed. A chunk of change but my sales rep says he quite likes them. I like the fact that they accept composite, component AND HD-SDI/SDI for future growth when I turn my multicam setup into HD. I also have an investment in Anton Bauer batteries so that is an added bonus for location work.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey there Shaun,
A guy I work with quite a bit has one and I would call it just ok. We use it with his panasonic hdx 900 and it just doesn't seem that sharp, I followed the link you posted and JVC has its resolution posted at 800 x 480 so I suspect that is the cause. I would love to see this up against a small hd monitor but they don't take hd sdi which is a major error in my book. I have not had a chance to compare it to the much more expensive panasonic 9" but I find those to be not so great outdoors. So the search continues.

Good luck

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, the HD-SDI is kinda what sold me on them. I'll be putting them into my SD multicam live switched road kit as Preview & Program for now and want to be able to scale them to be ISO monitors or Program & Preview when I start switching in HD (over HD-SDI). As well, as a client confidence monitor in the field when I mount an Anton Bauer battery adaptor, I have yet one more use for them (currently analog HD component out of my JVC GY-HD200u's).

Everything else comparable is pretty much twice the price and I don't need it for focus. I just need a good, solid monitor (well, actually 2...) that is/are REASONABLY sharp and accurate (difficult on a 9", I know but size is a MAJOR factor as they need to fit into a portable road case, side by side)
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think you will find they are well built and if you don't have anyone pawing them and travel them in a road case you can leave off the plexi face plate which diffuses the image somewhat. I also like the tilting base plate which makes it easy to mount to things or change viewing angle.
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Fantastic Mark. I appreciate the input. Based on your input and that of Tim Dashwood, resident JVC guru, I'll be ordering two next week. And yes, they WILL live in a road case so the recommendation is a good one.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So, I ordered a pair today. Should get them next week after Canadian Thanksgiving. I'll let you all know what I think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software