What to look for in a field monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 24th, 2002, 11:40 PM   #1
Trustee

What to look for in a field monitor?

Hi all. I'd liked to get a monitor that will help a bit more when trying to get a good exposure when setting up a shot as I dislike the LCD and EVF. I've read the archives and realised I don't need a pro broadcast monitor as the stuff I'll do will be short movies and animal rights videos, none of which will be broadcast on TV. Now, with this said it's going to be a lot easier thatn reasearching a pro monitor, I'll just need some sort of TV and a blue filter to help calibrate. The question I have is what other things might I need for a monitor and what things should I make sure that it has? I assume it's a pretty braindead mission but I want to make sure that I don't get a TV that's missing something vital.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 05:42 AM   #2
Warden

You'll need battery power, RCA audio and video inputs, video controls. The video controls should allow for changes in Tint, Color (saturation), Brightness, Contast and Sharpness (detail). These contols go by various names by different manufactures. Don't be surprised if contrast is called Black Level or something. Check out the edges around the monitor because you'll build your own hood for use in bright light. Rounded edges and such make it difficult to attach the hood and seal out light.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Trustee

Sweet Jeff. That's precisely what I was after.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software