Replacement for 23" Apple Cinema Display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Replacement for 23" Apple Cinema Display

My 23" ACD has finally given up the ghost. It worked great as my second monitor for color correction (through a Matrox MXO) but it has gone south.

I'd love to get a conventional color correction monitor but that is not in the budget right now.

So...My research indicates the Dell 24" is the way to go (since the new Apple monitors have a mini display port that is not compatible with the MXO)?

If so, There are apparently two of these rascals out there. One for about $400 (an older model?) and the Dell UltraSharpTM U2410 Monitor for about $600 at the Dell Store.

Is the latter, more expensive one the one to get or will the other one work just as well?

Thanks
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have the older Dell 2405 and love it, with one exception. Having a Blu-Ray drive in this computer, and the monitor connected via digital DVI, it won't play back protected content. The newer monitors do have HDCP and wouldn't have this issue.

I've also read through the grapevine that the 2405 panel is identical to the ones that were being used in the ACD monitors.

JMHO,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Trustee

I have an HP LP2465w. It's very nice, but honestly I really can't tell the difference between that and some cheaper panels that I have, except that it seems to more accurately display yellow than old the EIZO's sitting next to it.

It is supposed to have better colors and blacks, esp. when calibrated (which I've done w/ a Spyder2 probe) than other monitors in it's price range--~$600.

Don't know if that helps much.

Last edited by Peter Moretti; October 23rd, 2009 at 05:01 AM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dell U2410 versus 2408WFP

I have 2 Dell 2408WFPs being driven by my 2009 Mac Pro (and sometimes a Dell Windows box at the same time, I just toggle the inputs when needed). I really like them as written about on here some time ago but don't do colour grading work at the level some do - well at least not yet as most of my corporate customers watch my material on all sorts of computers with non-perfect displays/projection devices etc. One monitor is connected to the Mac Pro ATI 4870 videocard by the Apple minidisplay port to DVI converter thing.

As far as I can tell (see link - if you have n't found this already) the monitor you are considering is a replacement for the 2408s I have - not sure how accurate the info is in this link but I'll post it anyway - the comments at the end are worth a scan if nothing else:

Dell UltraSharp U2410 Review

EDIT: Much better review of the U2410 below (again, you may have seen this but post it here for convenience). Note all the detailed information about colour performance:

Dell U2410 Review

Also, adding the original Dell 2408WFP thread below:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sdtv-hdt...ni-review.html

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; October 23rd, 2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: adding links
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software