SmallHD's DP1 monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hard Carry Case for Small HD Monitor

Anyone using a hard case to carry the Small HD kit around in? I am looking for a cheap one to buy.
Thanks
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #17
Major Player

actually yes! i am using the Pelican 1200 cases for my DP1s - you can get them here on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002INQT2...D02RYK5DP19MG&

I simply use the bottom and top foam pieces - not the pick 'n pluck foam insert - the case fits a DP1 in the neoprene sleeve, plus the sun hood and a two batteries (one installed on the battery bracket, one standing up at the top side of the monitor) perfectly.

waterproof, dustproof, might as well be bulletproof protection haha. I love pelican cases!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi

Had my DP1 for several weeks, very happy. I am using Manfrotto 244 RC Magic Arm to support the monitor, a little overkill, but certainly works. Cheers, Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
SmallHD's DP1 monitor-smallhd-1.jpg  
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Trevor , Thanks for the info, I will look into that:-)
- That's a great price!
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #20
Trustee

Hi Trevor,

Could you post a picture of your case configuration with the DP1 in it? I am currently using a cheap Platt hard case I got at Fry's but I'm not too thrilled about the latch system. Ideally I'd like to have a case that fits the chargers too.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm looking at this case. Carry Cases Plus - Custom and Stock Blow Molded Cases, Shipping Cases, Pelican Cases, Storm Cases - Blow molded cases :: Standard cases

This company offers a large variety at a good price. I want to put all the monitor gear (cables , arm, batteries, ect..) in the case and have a complete kit.
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Hi Trevor,

Could you post a picture of your case configuration with the DP1 in it? I am currently using a cheap Platt hard case I got at Fry's but I'm not too thrilled about the latch system. Ideally I'd like to have a case that fits the chargers too.

Garrett
Hi Garrett,

I'm crunching on a job at the moment so no time to post images until after christmas, but the 'configuration' is very simple, as i said...

1 battery in the battery bracket, on the monitor, monitor in pouch, laying face-down inside the pelican 1200. One battery sits along the "top" side of the monitor, standing on its side. The sun hood lays flat on top of the monitor in the case.

Chargers get thrown in a separate bag with all of my other chargers, but I rarely use them.

no room for chargers, but with this configuration for both of my monitors i'm able to carry all four of my batteries and two monitors in two little cases and never worry about damage to them. They get banged around A LOT and we've never had an issue. I'd never put my stuff in anything but pelican (or equivalent) cases.

Now, if you are insistent on having your chargers in the same case, check out the Pelican 1300 case : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009XVKT...F3KWBSK3SEKXG& - Same dimensions roughly as the 1200, but deeper, so you can throw more stuff in there. A few chargers and other batteries would be no problem.

Enjoy!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Just got the DP-1

Hello, everyone. Just got the DP-1 for the Sony EX-1. Hooked it up component and it looks okay. Not as vivid as I had hoped. Is there a better way to connect monitor to EX-1 for a better HD picture? I have tried the settings and blew that one so I had to use the factory reset to restore. The tutorials are well done, I guess I just need to follow along more closely. I noticed a jack on the handle of the EX-1 marked, ' HDV ' can this drive the DP-1? Also, I don't seem to be very long battery life from the unit. Maybe a half hour or so on each battery. I am recharging these now to see if by chance they were not fully charged. The LEDs were green on both batteries when I took them off charger.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #24
Major Player

575 or 1080?

I'm not sure how to interpret "vivid" in terms of image. Normally that would refer to saturation, but i cant see that being the issue.

Is it possible your EX1 is set to output Standard Def via the component port?

When you fire up the DP1, or turn on the camera, the DP1 should display the type of signal it is being sent. In the corner when the signal comes on, does it say "1080"? I'm not sure about the ex1, but some cams can output either SD or HD via the component, and the SD out wont be very impressive.

if its not a resolution issue, then could you describe what are you seeing a bit more? Is the image unsaturated? Washed out? Too contrasty/Not enough?
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for taking time to response. I get a good picture, but it just does not look HD. More like SD. I have the EX-1 set to record at 720 60P. I have not tried any other signal. I think you may be on the right trail relative to an output setting from the camera. Where might I check that setting and what should it be set for?

Phil
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #26
Major Player

In the monitor options on the ex1, check that ypbpr is set to HD.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

if that doesn't fix it, let us know and we'll see what else might be up. I have more experience with the ex3 than ex1, but the image should be similar. Monitoring the ex3 on my DP1 is stunning. Sometimes looks like you could reach through the screen.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
SmallHD's DP1 monitor-component.jpg  
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes it is set to HD

I checked and have that set to HD and even changed the format to 1080P to see if that helps. Some of the screen shots I see here from you guys using this monitor is what I am hoping to get and mine just does not look that good. Possibly some numbers as to what the settings should be might help.

Phil
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM   #28
Major Player

Hmmm.

Thats very mysterious. Its hard to diagnose if you are unhappy with the monitor, feeding it the wrong signal, the monitor is displaying something bad or your expectations were too high....

Apologies if these are insulting questions:

Are you definitely using the component output? The tiny little rectangular connection that requires you to use a special adapter that breaks out into 3 RCA cables?

On the DP1 you only have cables plugged into the three component inputs (and nothing in the yellow composite input)

When you feed a signal to the DP1, does it display "720" or "1080" when it sees the source?

Hmmm. trying to think what the next step would be. hmm.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Everything is plugged in correctly.

I think it is going to boil down to just playing with the settings. I shot some stuff tonight and it did look pretty good. It would be good to exchange settings with other EX-1 users who have the DP-1. One thing that would be nice to have are the settings for the overscan. I am getting the 1080i indication in the upper righthand side of the DP-1 screen. Thanks again for all of your help.

Phil
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I used my dp1 on my xlh1 on the back of it and it has been great there.

I now want to use it on a sony fx1000 and recall someone showing a shoe mount, Darned if i can find that.

A suggestion or linc anyone?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software