MXO2 Mini and Sony KDL-26L5000 26-Inch 720p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MXO2 Mini and Sony KDL-26L5000 26-Inch 720p?

Hi all,

I am planning to pickup a Matrox MXO2 mini in addition to a smaller-sized HDTV to preview color output. This is by no means for high-end, professional color grading or color correction (I am completely new to that realm).

However, I am doing a small motion graphics project for a client and the colors/saturation are definitely off. I generated a DVD with edits that I've done with Apple Motion and FCP (no color correction or adjustments to levels, etc yet) and there is obviously inconsistency between what's on my 24" LCD monitor and a television set (be it SD or HDTV).

I was looking at televisions for the MXO2 mini and I was wondering if you guys think this would be a solid buy?

Amazon.com: Sony Bravia L-Series KDL-26L5000 26-Inch 720p LCD HDTV, Black: Electronics

Yes, it's only 720p (while the MXO2 mini supports 1080p), but I won't be editing 1080p soon and anything at 1080p and larger would blow my current budget out the door.

Thoughts?

Best,
James
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Trustee

I just got a Mini last week and only used it for 2 days. For web material, I like to take my EX1 1080p 29.97 footage and edit it in a 720x405 sequence. In order to use the Mini, you must use one of their presets, which only include NTSC, 720p and 1080p. Moreover, I use Premiere and AE CS4 and the project files created in Premiere using the Matrox preset causes Premiere to crash if the Mini isn't hooked up and powered on. This, for me, is unacceptable because should I need to edit the project on another computer or down the road without a Mini, I will have problems. Also, AE kept crashing without the Mini hooked up.

The other main reason I do not like it is that it slows my editing in Premiere. Going from the Source to Program or vice versa would take 3 seconds for the Mini's video to switch and then another 3-4 seconds before I could click on anything.

It might be different for FCP but I would check. Go to Matrox's forum to read about other user's problems or to ask Matrox.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Steve. I would be using the setup with FCP 7 as well as Motion 4 (for now). I believe that the MXO2 Mini supports these programs.

I've read about some 'lag' that occurs with the video also when the setup is run on a Windows PC, which is unfortunate :( Thanks for the bit about the Matrox forums - I'm on the case doing my reading now :)
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Trustee

Check this LCD out - JVC 20". Its less than $1000 and doesn't require the Mini because it has all the necessary adjustments. I am looking at the 24", which is only $1600 and they have gotten great reviews.
JVC DT-V20L1U LCD Monitor and other LCD Monitors at CDW.com
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, even that is out of my budget. I'm working with chump change here :) which is why I was looking into something around the $300-$400 mark for the time being. (Though the JVC suggestion is nice! if I had that extra :)
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Trustee

I was suggesting the JVC so you wouldn't need a Matrox Mini which should be closer to your current budget.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Steve, unless I'm mistaken, the JVC you listed would STILL not be completely accurate as the DVI input is STILL RGB whereas the purpose of using something like the MXO series is to output YUV component. The colour spaces are still different.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
PS. That's a lot of "still"s in my previous post. Still sorry.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I was suggesting the JVC so you wouldn't need a Matrox Mini which should be closer to your current budget.
I think I understand what you mean, but Shaun's reply also clarifies the color space end of it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software