Help! Monitor vs TV trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Help! Monitor vs TV trouble

I have this monitor (actually it's a 16:10 that looks exactly like it) as my computer monitor:
HP® Official Store — Buy the HP w2338h 23" Diagonal Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor direct from HP
I recently watched something I color corrected with this monitor on my sharp Aquos HDTV, and the saturation/levels/contrast was way, WAY off. I trust my HDTV more than this monitor because the monitor only has a couple setting: "Movie setting" (Overblown contrast and saturation) and "Photo Setting" (way to muted and dull). I don't like either of the settings really, but my eyes adjust and cause me to totally screw up my levels. This monitor is also very reflective.
Why do these reflective monitors only have over saturated and under saturated options? Can people actually use these things, is there some way for me to fix it? I just don't see why they were invented.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Such monitors are not color calibrated for photo or video editing. You will need to get a proper monitor, but they cost $$$. Maybe you can purchase MXO2 mini and use it for color correction work?
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I never use a computer monitor for color correcting. They don't match those of a broadcast monitor.

If you don't have a professional broadcast monitor split the signal between your TV and your computer monitor and try to calibrate the computer monitor to match the TV as close as possible.

Using and Adjusting your Monitor HP w2338h 23 inch LCD Monitor - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Color: Selects the screen color. The factory default is 6500 K or Custom Color, depending on the model.
9300 K Changes to slightly bluish white
6500 K Changes to slightly reddish white
Custom Color Selects and adjusts your own color scales:

R - Sets your own red color levels.
G - Sets your own green color levels.
B - Sets your own blue color levels.

sRGB Sets your screen colors to adapt to the color standards used in the image technology industry.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I didn't realize this was a software thing. Does anyone else think the reflective (LED?) monitors are inferior to the LCDs? It's not just the reflectiveness of them, the colors seem saturated and contrasty, but sometimes you intentionally want a muted image. I obviously don't know much about monitors so I'd like to know which one you people prefer.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software