Thank You SmallHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Thank You SmallHD

Two batteries arrived at my office last week. One was a no go after 2 days on the charger. I emailed SmallHD and before I knew it, a new battery was on its way to me with an apology email from SmallHD.

This level of professionalism is second to none and I wish to publicly thank SmallHD for such a quick turn around and for not beating around the bush.

SmallHD & Convergent Design receive my A++++ hounours listing for the most responsive and professional organisations in our industry.

Thanks again SmallHD.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If only the DP1 didn't cost an arm and a leg and had different power options!
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Major Player

compared to the IKAN monitors which are only 480x800, the DP1 is a steal.

You really have to use one to understand - the batteries are fantastic. They're light, and they last an acceptable amount of time - having one on the charger and one on the monitor at any given time will give you a full day of virtually uninterrupted shooting, and you can mount the monitor anywhere, being as the battery isn't as heavy as a gold brick like other monitor power options that ive used.

Honestly, what it boils down to is that the DP1 is an exceptional value for what it is. There aren't many HD monitors that come close in terms of specs, features and WEIGHT at this price point.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Trustee

I think you'll find you can run the DP1 off just about 12v source, apart from the SmallHD batteries, some guys are using the Tekkeon, V mount wouldn't be to hard to rig up - I could even run it from the car - what more do you want?
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

External 12V power on the DPI.

Paul, I don't think the SmallHD will accept external 12V power just yet (but stay tuned). This was the deal breaker for me, but as I understand it, they are working on adding that feature.

The SmallHD is an excellent product at an excellent price point being sold by an excellent company that is very responsive to its users.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Major Player

yes, it does accept external 12v power. I can't remember the range exactly, but I think it's actually something like 9-16v

Deal breaker broken. Now go get one already!
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Only 12V REGULATED external power

Sorry Trevor,

I should have fine-tuned my post.

Yes, it will accept 12V external power, but ONLY 12V REGULATED (most regulated DC inputs are looking to see 11.6 to 12.4V, no more, no less).

It will NOT accept unregulated DC power (as from the D-Tap on Anton Bauer, IDX, and Sony mounts). Depending on the battery system, the D-Tap will pass 11 to 17 VDC, with the most common range being 12.5 to 14.5 VDC.

I run all my accessories off of that D-Tap (wireless video transmitters, Focus MR HD100 drive, wireless follow focus, on-board light, etc., etc.). I also need to run a monitor off that same D-Tap (which I can do with the Panasonic, Marshall, and ikan units I now use).

My preferred cam DC power choice is the Anton Bauer system. Depending on the gig, I carry 2 to 6 Dionic 90 batteries and if I think I may need it, a Titan Twin charger. I don't want to have to carry consumer batteries and another charger system as well, so that's why the lack of 12V unregulated power support via a standard DC female barrel plug is a deal breaker for me at this point in the DP1's development cycle.

I have had some very constructive dialogs with SmallHD, and based on those dialogs, I am sure there is a SmallHD monitor or more in my future :)

They are a VERY responsive company to deal with.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Sponsor: iKan Corp.

ikan HD Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
The ikan V5600 is 1024x600 and takes 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The ikan V8000HDMI is 800 x 480 however 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The ikan VX7 and VX9 will also be in 1024x600 -- they will be out January 2010.

Most of our monitors will accept up to 24 volts, and we have a myriad of power options available - check them out for yourself at:

ikancorp.com: TFT LCD Monitors
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Major Player

so the IKANs aren't quite 720p, and don't accept 1080p signals?

They're also quite expensive for their sizes and resolutions, compared to the DP1...

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but the DP1 still has you guys when it comes to resolution, size and price. The performance is fantastic, the build quality and durability are insane (if not overboard - in a good way) and their customer service is second to none.

Thanks for the info though :-)

Last edited by Trevor Meeks; November 11th, 2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Sponsor: iKan Corp.

Not 720P..?

Can you clarify what you mean by saying ikan is not quite 720P? Despite their inconsistancy in stock, right now I think they're back ordered, the most troubling thing about Small HD is the battery issue. If you do not use one of the small HD batteries, which according to them, provide a regulated 12v signal, then you could ruin their monitor. With the ikan, you can use everything from the Sony L to the Sony V mount with no worry at all.
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Clint,

What I mean by "not 720p" is that the V5600 monitor is in fact 1024x600 resolution - it does not have an actual 720 pixels of vertical resolution.

I'm not saying that's bad, but it certainly shouldn't be compared to the DP1 unless it is in fact true 720p resolution - if not a bit higher - at 1280x768. Keep in mind that the V5600 is also a 5.6" monitor - not 8.9" - so the "closest" thing that IKAN has to the DP1 is the V8000HDMI, which still doesn't come close in resolution or build quality. The DP1 still has 3x more pixels than the V8000HDMI. Also, the fact that IKAN monitors do not accept 1080p signals is worrisome to say the least. I'd like to point out that the DP1 can even accept signals from the RED One. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Image of the DP1 on a RED One from SmallHD.com:

As far as battery "options" are concerned, you are not required to use a smallHD battery. Many people are using Tekkeon batteries since they have them lying around - they work extremely well with the DP1 at anywhere between 9 and 15 volts from what I remember. I've been told that other power mounting options are in the works. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the DP1 batteries themselves. They are EXTREMELY slim, durable, INEXPENSIVE, and lightweight. They last up to 2.5 hours, and if you've got one on the charger and one on the monitor, you will always have power to spare. At $60 each, I could afford to buy 6 of the SmallHD batteries instead of an Anton Bauer Dionic 90. That being said, I'm looking into having a custom cord made so I can power my DP1 from the AB battery mounted on my Glidecam X-22. You just need a small circuit to make the power conversion, and apparently such a cord can be made for around $40.

My own image of the SmallHD Battery on the DP1:

I use the DP1 on my Sony EX1/Redrock M2 rig in both shoulder mounted and tripod mounted scenarios - it would be impossible to comfortably hold my rig in the shoulder mounted setup with a big, fat battery on the DP1. The SmallHD battery bracket allows their slim batteries to be mounted directly to the monitor in a secure fashion, while adding a minute amount of weight and providing plenty of run time. I doubt you'll find anyone who will be shooting shoulder mounted for 2 and a half hours at a time, and who won't have 5 seconds to swap batteries at the end of said time.

My SonyEX1/Redrock M2 rig with Noga Arm mounted DP1:

I'd just like to point out that I do not work for or officially represent SmallHD in any way - I am simply a very happy customer who has done his research. I own two DP1s and have rented and used numerous other monitoring solutions, including the IKAN monitors, which I personally couldn't stand. No offense clint, but build quality and resolution are big winners for me, not to mention the stellar customer service that I've received from SmallHD.

Yes, the DP1 is currently backordered, but that's most likely due to high demand for their high quality parts. Everything gets backordered at some point, so I'm not really sure how that's supposed to make SmallHD look bad.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from as a consumer - we aren't all fixated on big fat batteries and cheapness to make us comfortable - the value of functionality and support are most important to me when it comes to these monitors. SmallHD wins in my book.

Anyhow - I believe this was originally a "Thanks to SmallHD" thread, and not a comparison thread, so I'll step back now and let the topic at hand continue :-)

Last edited by Trevor Meeks; November 12th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #12
Major Player

ok ok

Just in case things threaten to heat up, let me offer this hopefully neutral summary/overview:

Both Ikan and SmallHD make products which please many customers. There is no single perfect monitor and both companies should be lauded for giving us choices when not long ago we had none.

Ikan joined the thread to correct an inaccuracy about their monitor resolutions. Since not only was their product mentioned, but mentioned inaccurately, I reckon they have every justification needed to step in and speak up in an ostensibly unrelated thread. (not that any justification is needed for anyone to say anything... just look at this post! hehe)

The more inflammatory opinions and misinformation aren't quite as useful though. "Expensive" is a completely relative term and being backordered can mean just about anything. The presence or lack of specific resolutions, battery options, build quality, dedicated control buttons, voltage range, weight, body to screen size relationship... these are features, not "fatal flaws".

As a consumer, I'm thrilled to have not only a myriad of boutique monitor choices, but manufacturers keeping a close ear on what we say. Thanks Ikan for following along! That same attention and care is the only reason the boutique monitor exists. You don't see sony branded low price high rez field monitors in unique enclosures.

I try to remain unbiased, but in fairness, i'm extremely fond of my SmallHD dp1. At the same time, I recognize that as a dvinfo sponsor, Ikan helps to keep this board alive. So, mad props to both, really. The consumer wins!

So, on to the real issue... what monitor maker is gonna be first to market with a full native rez 1080P 7" monitor that runs 24 hours on a single AA (which also doubles the weight), has all possible video ports known for the next 5 years, and is daylight viewable with studio grade contrast and color even in full sunlight without a hood of any kind?

C'mon, who is first to offer it?

oh yeah. its gotta be $499.

hehe.
cheers,
-a
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Andrew - please show me exactly what was inaccurate about my post/information re: IKAN resolutions?

In this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
I was referring to the only IKAN that can really be compared to the DP1 in terms of size - the V8000HDMI. Sorry for not clarifying, but that certainly doesn't make it incorrect.

Again, not trying to start anything here, but I do feel the need to make my message clear.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Andrew - please show me exactly what was inaccurate about my post/information re: IKAN resolutions?
Dude. Now i either look like a coward for not answering or a jerky grammar nazi for answering. argh. I'm hardly an icon for proper grammar/punctuation- and this has nothing to do with the observation i was making about Ikan's reply being reasonable and justified, since even possible reader confusion about a spec warrants a reply:

Quote:
You used "which" instead of "that". "Which" indicates a nonrestrictive clause, where the content of the phrase is incidental or parenthetical information. You meant to use "that", where "are only 480x800" restricts the subject in question to the data set "Ikan monitors of 480x800 resolution".

As a nonrestrictive clause, your phrase stated "the Ikan monitors... are only 480x800," which is inaccurate.

Now that I'm an honorary grammar nazi, i might as well point out that had you said "compared to ALL monitors that are only 480x800, the DP1 is a steal," then I totally would have agreed. ha!
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Milby View Post
The ikan V5600 is 1024x600 and takes 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The ikan V8000HDMI is 800 x 480 however 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

The ikan VX7 and VX9 will also be in 1024x600 -- they will be out January 2010.

Most of our monitors will accept up to 24 volts, and we have a myriad of power options available - check them out for yourself at:

ikancorp.com: TFT LCD Monitors
Clint: Any idea of an estimated price range yet. Looks to be a wonderful monitor!
Wished I could have seen it at the HD Expo demo in Burbank last week.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software