DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI-SB vs Ikan V5600 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/467283-marshall-v-lcd70p-hdmi-sb-vs-ikan-v5600.html)

Piotr Wozniacki November 7th, 2009 10:58 AM

Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI-SB vs Ikan V5600

A quick poll:

Price aside, which of the 2 monitors in question is better to use with EX1 (unfortunately have no opportunity to check them both)?

- the Marshall is only 800x480, but has peaking and false color functions
- the Ikan is 1024x600, which together with its even smaller size (5.6" vs. 7") gives a better "dpi" factor...

Both can be configured with the Sony BP-U battery plate, or be fed from external battery (both have regulated inputs - very important, with today's batteries capable of 20V when fully charged).

Comments welcome!

PS. Please narrow your opinions/recommendations to the 5-7" size monitors; as far as larger screens are concerned, there is probably nothing to beat the price/performance ratio of the SmallHD and Manhattan offerings!

Paul Joy November 16th, 2009 12:03 PM

Did you get any further in your search Piotr? I too am on the lookout for a monitor of that size, I'm looking for an HDMI one though so that I can use it with my EX1 (via component) and my 5dmkII.

I really like the look of the newer Marshall 6.5" monitor, but I'm concerned that it's 4:3 aspect will make the 16:9 output from the EX1 look not much larger than the built in LCD.

After trying the DP1 and not being very happy with it I'm keen to make the right decision this time.

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 02:37 PM

Piotr and Paul I am in the same boat and need to purchase a field monitor in the next week.

The Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI, V-LCD70P-HDA, V-LCD70P-3GSDI are the ones in my sights. The reason for this is the peaking function they all offer. I shoot with the EX1 and Nano, and also have a PMW-350 on pre-order, and will be getting a Canon 7d in the next month for a few other jobs.

The problem I am dealing with is when I use the EX1 with out the Nano which won't be often there is no HDMI output. But the Canon 7d and the PMW-350 both have HDMI.

Carlos Padilla November 17th, 2009 03:56 PM

I'm in the same also. I've a ex1 but my first needs is for my 5dmII. The Marshall have a problem with false colors via hdmi. Doesn't show red as overexposed. Martin from Marshall said me that are working in a fix for this and it will be avalible soon. I need it for the 5dmII. Trough components or hdsdi don't have this problem (no problems for the ex1). I'm waiting because I prefer the features of this monitor vs other with more resolution.

Piotr Wozniacki November 17th, 2009 04:36 PM

Carlos,

Did he say whether the fix can be applied by the user, or does the monitor go back to the factory servicing?

Paul Cronin November 17th, 2009 06:34 PM

Good question Piotr,

If we can update the monitor then it is a go if not I with you and have to wait for the fix. I will also contact Marshall.

Piotr are you not happy with your Manhattan HD monitor?

Carlos Padilla November 18th, 2009 06:56 PM

I asked this and they said that don't guarantee that it will be a user upgradable firmware. I'm from Spain. Too far to send the monitor and he advised me that is better wait for the fix.
I hope it will be done soon.
Contact Marshall, are a very good people with a great support (another thing I like)

Paul Cronin November 19th, 2009 07:56 AM

I am looking at the HD-SDI version since this does not have the false color problem and I am being told a better signal. Can anyone confirm that the HD-SDI signal is higher quality then the HDMI?

Paul Inglis November 19th, 2009 09:32 AM

HDMI and HD-SDI are the same quality (effectively they are the same other than the HDMI is the so called prosumer version with much more expensive cabling.

I'm after a field monitor that outputs true 1080p with both HD-SDI and HDMI. Ceen looking at the SWIT S-1080HU HD-SDI TFT Monitor. This version allows you to use the Sony BP-U30/60 Batteries.

Paul Cronin November 19th, 2009 09:41 AM

Interesting Paul Abel Cine Tech told me the signal from the HD-SDI was superior. Also the Marshal will let you use the Sony BP-U30/60 Batteries.

As I said above the peaking puts the monitor at the top of my list.

I will decide in the next 24 hrs.

Paul Cronin November 20th, 2009 07:34 AM

I just ordered the Marshall V-LCD70P-3GSDI-SB 7" LCD Field Monitor that takes the Sony BP-U30 or 60 batteries.

Paul Inglis November 25th, 2009 04:27 AM

HD-SDI and HDMI have the same high-quality uncompressed signal. However, HDMI doesn’t support timecode, whereas HD-SDI does. Furthermore, the SD-HDI cable is more durable and has the ability to lock apposed to HDMI. What more, HD-SDI can be used up to 150 meters while HDMI is limited to a mere 25 meters (greater distances can be obtained by using repeaters though). The last difference is the cost. HDMI is far more expensive then HD-SDI. Hope that clarifies the difference.

Paul Cronin November 26th, 2009 10:01 AM

Thanks Paul,

Interesting I am being told different but either way I am using the HD-SDI.

The monitor arrived yesterday and had its first test in studio. So far I am very impressed with the calibrating, and most of all the peaking runs hand in hand with the peaking on the EX1 which I am sure it will also do with the new PMW-350.

As I learn more I will post my findings.

Now to find the best solution for mounting with my different setups.

Paul Inglis November 28th, 2009 04:25 AM

I prefer HD-SDI simply because the cable is cheaper and lighter along with the biggest boon that the connectors are lockable.

Glad you got your monitor sorted.

Paul Cronin November 28th, 2009 09:11 AM

Agree Paul I like the secure connection with the SDI cable also the time code is needed for most of my shoots.

Now to figure out the best mounting while keeping it light. I have my wireless receivers on the hot shoe and am looking at this 16x9 Inc. :: J-Clamp since I try not to use rails.