best display for use with mxo2 mini at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

best display for use with mxo2 mini

I'm likely going to get a Matrox MXO 2 Mini and am wondering which display is best. I've been searching and found conflicting answers. Some folks say that an LCD TV would be better than a computer display (such as the Apple Cinema Display). My main monitor is a NEC 2490, which should work with the mini (according to the Matrox forum), but am considering getting a second monitor for color grading.

Here are the compatible display specs from the Matrox site:

* An HDMI input resolution of 1920×1080.
* 1:1 pixel mapping (aspect ratio of 1:1) on the HDMI input. On some HDMI monitors, 1:1 pixel mapping is sometimes referred to as "dot-by-dot", "Full Pixel", or "Just Scan" mode.
Note With an HDMI monitor that supports an aspect ratio of 1:1 on the HDMI input, your MXO2 output is displayed at its exact resolution, without any scaling. For example, if your monitor supports a resolution of 1920×1080, and your output's resolution is 1280×720, your output will appear as a rectangle within the 1920×1080 display, surrounded by black bars on all four sides. If the monitor does not support 1:1 pixel mapping, your output may be resized.

ETA: This new Dell display is only $139 and has 1920x1080 resolution; according to the site linked below it's got 1:1 pixel mapping. Hard to believe it would be good enough for so little money, but it's tempting.

http://electronics.dell.com/dell-s33...15&lid=1003762
http://www.trustedreviews.com/monito...LCD-Line-Up/p1
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Trustee

I just purchased an mxo2 mini and have a few things to try for color grading and HD output that seem to go hand in hand with your solution. I have a pair of Dell 24" monitors. Unfortunately they are not matched (2408 and 2405) but they both have a ridiculous amount of video ins. The 2408 has 2 DVI ins and two HDMI ins as well as s-video, component, composite and rgb.
Currently, I use the 2 monitors side by side for editing on my MacPro which gives me tons of real estate for spreading out FCP, Motion, and AE. The 2nd DVI in on the 2408 is hooked up to my Macbook Pro as a secondary monitor when I'm doing Pro Tools work...once again, great to stretch out the windows and it's only a front panel button push on the Dell to make the switch!
My plan with the mxo2 is to plug it into the 2408's hdmi input and while I'm using Color or FCP for grading, I can just hit a button on the monitor to switch it to a 1920x1080 HD TV.
We'll see how that works!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That sounds like a good setup. I realized that the mxo2 mini isn't going to work for me, because it's hdmi--and my NEC display, as well as the Dell monitor I ordered--are DVI. Now I'm thinking about the original mxo, which had DVI ports. I'm thinking about using my NEC with mxo2 as broadcast monitor, for color grading, and using the new Dell for the main monitor.

Please keep us posted on how your setup works out.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Trustee

don't know if you are aware of this but a simple cable, DVI to hdmi is all you need. I use one from my macbook pro to my projector for netflix! yours would go the opposite way from mine but ask around to double check.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
don't know if you are aware of this but a simple cable, DVI to hdmi is all you need. I use one from my macbook pro to my projector for netflix! yours would go the opposite way from mine but ask around to double check.
I can't find it right now, but somewhere I read something suggesting that this adapter would compromise the signal--you wouldn't be getting a good connection for broadcast color grading. Just now I searched for that and the only thing I could find was this, from the Matrox forum, where one user suggests the adapter should be fine but a Matrox rep says it hasn't been tested:
Matrox MXO User Forum :: View topic - HDMI-DVI colour accuracy

And I just found another Matrox thread about a problem using an adapter:
Matrox MXO User Forum :: View topic - MXO2 with an Eizo CG241W
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Trustee

yup sounds iffy at best! I was hoping to give you an easy solution! Sorry!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
yup sounds iffy at best! I was hoping to give you an easy solution! Sorry!
No need to apologize; thanks for the reply.
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Major Player

>my NEC display, as well as the Dell monitor I ordered--are DVI.

Hi Jim

What is the native resolution for these monitors? If they are 1920x1080 native then a HDMI <> DVI convertor should work with the MXO2 output. If they're 1920x1200 then a simple convertor will likely not work.

Robert, yes a simple DVI to HDMI cable is plenty good enough for end user movie watching etc but as noted, sadly, its not accurate enough for technical / broadcast monitoring.

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Major Player

I have both a Matrox MXO2 on my MacPro and a Matrox MXO2 MiniMax which I used with the MacBook Pro but also use that MBPro+MiniMax as a compression station owing to the compression chip in the Mini.

For proper monitoring, I use a Flanders Scientific LM-1760W which in addition to its SDI and Component inputs also has DVI. Using HDMI->DVI adapter I am able to monitor from the MXO2 Mini.

Since DVI does not carry audio, I just take analog audio from the MXO2 into my mixer. It ends up being a very adequate way of proper monitoring through MXO2 mini.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
>my NEC display, as well as the Dell monitor I ordered--are DVI.

Hi Jim

What is the native resolution for these monitors? If they are 1920x1080 native then a HDMI <> DVI convertor should work with the MXO2 output. If they're 1920x1200 then a simple convertor will likely not work.

Robert, yes a simple DVI to HDMI cable is plenty good enough for end user movie watching etc but as noted, sadly, its not accurate enough for technical / broadcast monitoring.

Hope it helps
Andy
The native res of the NEC is 1920x1080; the Dell is 1920X1200. I bought a used MXO which has DVI in/outs. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone know if the MXO2 works with 5DMII footage? I just found a post on the MXO forums that says the MXO doesn't work with true 30FPS footage (which is what the 5D outputs; not 29.97), but I'm not sure if that only applies only to the MXO or all of their products.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes, it applies to all MXO2 products. The info is in their user manual.

Have you used the MXO2 yet and with what software?

I have the MXO2 Mini and used it all of 2 days due to the 4-5s delay when switching between Program and Source and vice versa AND Premiere and After Effects would crash if the Mini was not present AND projects created with the Matrox presets would crash Premiere on any system where the Mini was not present, which means I would ALWAYS need a damn MXO2 product should I need to open a project down the road.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have not used the MXO2; only the original MXO. I had heard raves about the MXOs, but now I'm having doubts. Steve, what kind of display are you outputting the MXO2 to?
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Trustee

I am not using it anymore but I had a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV hooked up to it while testing.

I read your statements again and correct me if Im wrong - you have the "MXO", not the MXO2. My previous statement relates to all MXO2 products, not the MXO. The info you are looking for is in the user manual on Matrox's site. That is where I got my info about MXO2 products.

For DVI monitoring, have you looked at the BlackMagic HDLink Pro?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I am not using it anymore but I had a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV hooked up to it while testing.

I read your statements again and correct me if Im wrong - you have the "MXO", not the MXO2. My previous statement relates to all MXO2 products, not the MXO. The info you are looking for is in the user manual on Matrox's site. That is where I got my info about MXO2 products.

For DVI monitoring, have you looked at the BlackMagic HDLink Pro?
No, I'm not familiar with the HDLink Pro. Does is it simulate a broadcast monitor the way the MXO does?

I'll download and read the MXO2 manual.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Major Player

I just bought 23" Samsung. Samsung - 23" Flat-Panel LED Monitor - Charcoal Gray - XL2370. it has 1920x1080 resolution DVI and HDMI. It also had the best colors out of the box. I don't think you want something like 32" on a desk- it will kill your eyes very, very quickly.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software