Apple Monitor vs LCD TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple Monitor vs LCD TV

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, as most threads are about camera monitors, but I recently bought the 24 inch Apple Cinema Display for an extra monitor for my 24 inch iMac. (got mine refurbished for $600)

Apple | 24" LED Cinema Display | MB382LL/A | B&H Photo Video

This is mainly for an extra monitor for editing on Final Cut. Once I got it, I found that its not compatible with my version of the iMac (bought it in Dec 2007) and I would have to buy an adapter for $150.00 extra. Im currently debating if I should return the Apple 24 inch and get an LCD TV for an extra monitor instead, or just keep the Apple and buy the adapter? Here is the TV I'm looking at:

Samsung - 26" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - LN26B460B2D

Would you guys recommend using an LCD TV for an extra monitor? Any reason I should go with the Apple instead? Or, as a third option, I could go with Apple's 23 inch Cinema Display (recently discontinued), which I believe would be directly compatible with my iMac:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Display.html

I can get one of those used for around $500, so close to the cost of that TV. I won't need anything with a TV tuner, and if the used Apple 23 inch is a better monitor for close to the same price as the TV, I'd be more inclined to go that direction.

Any thoughts?

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Scott..............

Well, that Samsung is only a 720 display, so if you're editing full 1080 HD it's going to be a bit of a bummer. In addition, it's only got an HDMI port, which doesn't always work with DVI O/P.

The other Apple display you link to is a full HD unit with DVI, which seems to be far more sensible.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

1) Most computer monitors are not color-accurate for video although Apple monitors are sometimes better than many out there. You can use the color adjustments in System Preferences to get as close as possible but it's hard to calibrate. To get what's billed as a color accurate computer monitor you can purchase something like this: Scan Converter - Output and Monitoring Device - Matrox MXO. Not cheap however.

2) Nearly all and perhaps all consumer flat screen televisions are not really color accurate although not for always the same reasons as computer monitors. To get a reasonably color accurate LCD you purchase HDMI output products from Matrox or Blackmagic Designs.

or you can spend a lot of money and get a professional LCD monitor.

I like Samsung LCDs as sitting distance TVs but for close editing work, they do not pass the test. Too much color shifting if you move your head or change positions in your seat. I would stick with Apple as their monitors are excellent at keeping their colors through a wide viewing angle.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the great responses guys. Sounds like I will be returning my 24 inch Apple Cinema Display and 26 inch Samsung LCD TV, and buying a used 23 inch Apple (which is compatible with my iMac, without having to buy the $150 converter box).

Thanks again!

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software