DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   apple can, but monitor companys cant? really? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/471793-apple-can-but-monitor-companys-cant-really.html)

A.J. Aguirre January 27th, 2010 02:07 PM

apple can, but monitor companys cant? really?

okay maybe this is just me, but why can apple make an advanced piece of technology far superior than JUST an lcd screen (ie, camera monitors that we all buy)... and they can sell it for $500... but these monitors are costing us well over $500 for a decent set-up that all we will be using for is looking at a picture on the screen?! the ipad is only .5 inches thick and has a battery life of 10 hours too! geez

if im sorely mistaken and have for some reason missed the superior technological feat that it takes to create a high resolution screen, please correct me...

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2010 02:27 PM

Refers to the Apple iPad.

No HDMI input, no HD resolution (only XGA)... not sure how you can draw a parallel to video monitors...?

Also, why did you post this to the EOS 7D Forum? Moved to The View (Monitors), where it belongs.

Paul Cook January 28th, 2010 12:23 AM

Chris I think you are missing the bigger picture in the question the Op was asking. That is why are most on camera monitors so expensive while offering inferior resolution and outdated technology in their screen panels?

Now obviously there is way more that goes into a pro monitor than just resolution or panel type, and we are talking about the giant that is apple and a mass market product vs the likes of Marshall, Ikan and SmallHD who are minnows by comparison and selling to a niche market...but still it does make you pause for thought.

I mean lets take stock - its the year 2010 - last week i was thinking why has no one brought out a portable monitor with an OLED panel we can use...then I find out Marshal will be soon...but its over $2k...and it STILL only offers 800*480 (making it much less 'HD' than the ipad)

I mean if Marshall or someone just brought something out that had a TRUE HD 1280*720 res - 9" or 10" panel WITH bluegun AND 1:1 pixel mapping AND peaking AND False color...hell id slap down my $2k no questions asked.

Jeremy Naus January 28th, 2010 03:30 AM

I'm exactly wondering the same.
It would be great if some hardware manufacturer might make an HDMI input adaptor for the iPad. Along with a simple monitor software and BINGO: I have a great monitor for my camera.

There will already be a USB and SDCard adaptor available for the iPad (according to Apple site). So an HDMI input adaptor might also be possible?

Anyway, my biggest problem is that in the professional video world everything costs a lot of money. From simple things as rails and handles to over the top expensive monitors.

I understand that research costs money, but when I see that some companies are asking $1000+ for something as simple as a follow focus (which are just a couple of gears put together) I know that this is a world ruled by big money.
For the record, I know a FF needs to respond well and fluid and such and that it takes research and maybe CNC machined gears to get it perfect. But in the end it's still just gears in a box.

Michael Ray January 28th, 2010 10:14 AM

why can monitor companies make em chaeper??

according to Apple insider wall street annalists estimate that apple will sell 5 million ipads in their first year and 8 million in 2011

I'm sure Marshall and ikan would love design and produce dedicated lower cost chipsets and panels AND drop the price by 75% price it they knew the industry would purchase over 12 million units in two two years ... you going to buy a hdmi/sdi monitor for every one in your family and give them as Christmas presents??

hmmm 12 million divided by 730 days =16 thousand units a day

i doubt Marsahll or ikan make 16 thouousand of any model much less sell 16 thousand in a day

its all about scale

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cook (Post 1478269)
Chris I think you are missing the bigger picture in the question the Op was asking. That is why are most on camera monitors so expensive while offering inferior resolution and outdated technology in their screen panels?

Now obviously there is way more that goes into a pro monitor than just resolution or panel type, and we are talking about the giant that is apple and a mass market product vs the likes of Marshall, Ikan and SmallHD who are minnows by comparison and selling to a niche market...but still it does make you pause for thought.

I mean lets take stock - its the year 2010 - last week i was thinking why has no one brought out a portable monitor with an OLED panel we can use...then I find out Marshal will be soon...but its over $2k...and it STILL only offers 800*480 (making it much less 'HD' than the ipad)

I mean if Marshall or someone just brought something out that had a TRUE HD 1280*720 res - 9" or 10" panel WITH bluegun AND 1:1 pixel mapping AND peaking AND False color...hell id slap down my $2k no questions asked.

A.J. Aguirre January 28th, 2010 10:55 AM

and now the scale part of things IS making sense to me now

just give me hdmi on the ipad and ill buy one! ahhhh

Hamish Reid January 28th, 2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. Aguirre (Post 1478419)

That's pretty much what went through my mind yesterday when I saw the iPad :-). Never mind the apps and the wifi and stuff -- let me use that gorgeous screen!

Michael Ray January 28th, 2010 12:33 PM

let me make correction

no i was right the first time
quote from Apple Insider regarding estimated sales

"Reiner has included sales of 1.1 million iPad units in the first year in his projections, a total he said is conservative. For the second year, he has forecast 4 million, while checks with suppliers indicate Apple is prepared to ship 10 million units.""

this was my erroneous correction to my original calculations

i made a error in my calculations

the wall street guys are talking dollar sales and not units

so lets go with a 600$ average price thats still 20,000 units .... much less than my very wrong first calculation ... but still a good bit more than what the ikans and marshals mfg of their monitors

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. Aguirre (Post 1478419)
and now the scale part of things IS making sense to me now

Ryan Mitchell January 28th, 2010 04:45 PM

Don't forget the oft-used term of "loss leader" which big boys like Apple (iPad?), Microsoft (XBox) and others can do but Marshall et al can't. They take a hit on the hardware in order to enable sales of software. In the case of XBox it's games that pay a licensing and possibly a royalty fee. In the case of iPad it's additional developer licenses, app sales (in which Apple takes a cut), and now eBooks. Marshall and the rest sell hardware only, no expansion...

Paul Cook January 28th, 2010 05:11 PM

Sorry Ryan but Im fairly certain the term "loss leader" isnt in apples dictionary - I doubt there would be ANYTHING they sell at ANY level that generates a loss in the hopes of making it up elsewhere.

Dont let the logo fool you, there is only one kind of tree planted out the back of apple HQ!

Galen Rath January 28th, 2010 11:20 PM

The specs on their website talk about a composite and component video adaptor for the IPAD dock connection, is that something that will allow connection of a video camera?

Jeremy Naus January 29th, 2010 01:48 AM

If you look at the camera accessoire (USB and SD card) it states that it will be able to also get video from your camera.

Now MAYBE (big maybe) there will be an app iMovie like that will handle the video streamed from the camera => it should be possible to get live video from your camera.
But that will only work if your camera supports video via USB.

On the other side I think it will just access the card of the camera and copy the video from there, not streaming it.

Ah, an HDMI input piece of adaptor would be so great :-)

Michael Ray January 29th, 2010 09:14 AM

component and AV out

since it will play movies and media i imagine most likely those are OUTPUTS for playing back your i-tunes purchases .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Rath (Post 1478812)
The specs on their website talk about a composite and component video adaptor for the IPAD dock connection, is that something that will allow connection of a video camera?

Martin Mayer January 29th, 2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Rath (Post 1478812)

Definitely OUTPUTS, not inputs. (Edit: Snap! Sorry, Michael.)

Carlos Tovar January 29th, 2010 01:46 PM

Posted a quick blog about it...

check out the blog entry on www.ikancorp.wordpress.com... just shared a few thoughts on the matter...