found an inexpensive monitor......finally - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM   #31
Major Player

Found that the monitor is a little high when I have the 5D Mk2 on a tripod and shooting even with my standing subject.

Ordered a 4" hotshoe extension bar so that I can mount a mic or Zoom along with the monitor. Course this doesn't lower the monitor any but at least I can mount everything and it'll be a hair more mobile ezpecially if I take off on a monopod for run and gun shooting.

It'd be nice is the monitor could display upside down and I could someway flip it around.
But the monitor is really helping on the focusing and clients love to see playback of scenes on it.

Last edited by Harry Simpson; November 1st, 2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: can't spell!!
Harry Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Lilliput 669 vs 668

I've had both the 669 (lower brightness 250cdm), 668 450cdm and 669 450cdm versions.

For me 668 appealed to me initially due to
* 2200mah internal batteries
* Component input on the back with BNC connectors

However upon receiving I was not impressed with the lag / pause between liveview mode and recording mode of 1-2 seconds. (This only happens to 5D / 60D as it switches resolution to 480p, 7D no issues).

Having used this in a live shoot situation, internal batteries are bad because of its lower maH rating as well because its cover is secured using a screw - pain in the butt during the middle of a shoot to replace.

Ended up settling on the 669 450cdm instead.
* 2 x 6800 mah external batteries - external - I attached some sticky Velcro to the back and that goes on instantly and securely.
* NO LAG / PAUSE ... this being the main reason I switched to 669 instead. I can't stand that pause you get even with smallHD DP1 monitors! (you have to use this in DVI mode - with hdmi input)

Emailing the seller directly you can get a better deal than the ebay price since he's passing on success fee savings onto you. Sunhood is also good quality and goes on very securely.
Josh Fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:49 PM   #33
Regular Crew

hmm... hope I didn't make a mistake. I ordered the 668 last night for my HVX just because I didn't really want to mess around with additional connectors - and I liked the idea of internal batteries. Hope there not to big of a pain to change.

Though - if I really wanted my batteries external it doesn't look like it would be that hard to extend the battery wires and create some type of battery holder that attaches to the tripod?

Cannot wait to see the results!

I also ordered an extra battery, the shoe mount, and the hood.
Dale Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM   #34
Trustee

Dale, I think there is nothing that prevent you from using one of those bigger 12v batteries on the 668. You should order one or two. They are cheap and really good.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I find it almost unbelievable... I ordered the monitor Sunday night ... and they tried to deliver it to me today on Wednesday (I was gone at the time). I cannot believe it came from Hong Kong to Canada so fast!

Hopefully tomorrow I get to play with it a bit =D
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Wow! It really does work great - I would strongly recommend the lilliput to anyone using an HVX-200. It really makes focusing way easier. I just hope it lasts a while!

I can see the internal battery ending up being a bit of a pain .. but we will see.

The worst part right now about the internal battery is that it actually requires a screw driver to get into the back panel. I think I am just going to goto the dollar store and buy some velcro.

The hood you can buy extra works alright but I would imagine it will not take much wind to rip it off. - but once again I am going to use extra velcro to attach it better.
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #37
Trustee

So Dale after 2 months what are your thoughts of the Lilliput?
I was planning to buy it for thed7000 and the FX1

thx and happy holidays
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #38
Major Player

I've used my 668 for a total of a few hours so far. It's easy to use, and make focussing a breeze compared to squinting at the small camera screens.

You don't have to take the battery out. It can be charged in situ, and if you use an additional battery it plugs in and I think recharges the internal battery as well as running the monitor.

Now I have to buy a bigger bag to carry it all in!
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #39
Major Player

Re: found an inexpensive monitor......finally

I just received the 669gl this past week, and so far I'm VERY happy with it. Under $300 for the monitor, three batteries, sunshield, table stand, hotshoe mount, 7 in articuating arm mount and a short HDMI cable. Same thing here; 6 days from order to delivery in Canada.
I am sorely tempted with the new Sony HD monitor, and may ultimately have one for critical focus, and run this off an HDMI splitter, but until then....this is going to work out just dandy
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #40
Trustee

Guys did anyone try the Lilliput with a Nikon D7000?
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #41
Major Player

Your post prompted me to actually try it out - I haven't had time to use the camera in movie mode yet. Yes, it works a treat. You see all of the information that would have been in the viewfinder.

Now I just have to find my way around the camera - it's not quite the same as the D200s that I have been using for the past few years.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #42
Trustee

Anni are u a d7k owner?
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #43
Major Player

Yes, I've had the camera for a couple of weeks, but not had time to use it much.

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the few seconds of video that I took just now - birds on a peanut feeder. I hope to find more time to try it this weekend.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM   #44
New Boot

Hi,

I've just ordered a 669 bundle from Hong Kong like many of you have. Now I'm wondering what to expect when it comes to powering the charger, in terms of plugs etc. Can anyone confirm what plug it comes with?

I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing I will need some kind of adapter.
Tony Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fogarty View Post
Hi,

I've just ordered a 669 bundle from Hong Kong like many of you have. Now I'm wondering what to expect when it comes to powering the charger, in terms of plugs etc. Can anyone confirm what plug it comes with?

I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing I will need some kind of adapter.
These Chinese suppliers are pretty au fait with our various requirements for plugs & normally provide the appropriate power supply or some sort of adaptor.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software