DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Field monitor - Transflective (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/475811-field-monitor-transflective.html)

Alex Raskin March 29th, 2010 11:04 AM

Field monitor - Transflective

I'm looking for the mobile monitor that would be clearly readable indoors as well as in direct sunlight.

This is really for the custom Video rig I'm making, but I'll say it's similar to carPC monitors in terms of visibility in sunlight and touchscreen capabilities.

My current version of the video rig (custom made for SI-2K cam):

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-...ml#post1500113

uses ManhattanLCD's HD109A model (I was the first buyer when it came out). Great monitor, but too much glare and reflections, not great outdoors, it is Not touchscreen (I'm using Glidetouch with it), and too big for mobile use at 11" viewable.

What I really need is:

- 7-8" monitor
- widescreen format (16:9 or 15:9)
- sharp, contrasty image. Probably around 400nit, 500:1 contrast and up for indoor use.
- brightness + transflective technology enough to be clearly readable in direct sunlight
- good internal scaler (I heard Xenarc's scaler is not so good)
- 12V power (12-24V range would be nice if possible)
- touchscreen that is not impeding optical quality of the image and works reliably
- LED backlight seems to be the trend now - not sure if this is critical to have?
- the lighter weight, the better
- cost hopefully under $400

Basically similar to this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-...ml#post1504023

...but I think our video application begs for the transflective technology for the outdoor use.

So far I found the following:

--------------------

Marshall 6.5" HDMI
Marshall | V-LCD651ST-HDMI-CM 6.5" | V-LCD651ST-HDMI-CM

Saw it in person, image is really fantastic (indoors - didn't see it in sunlight, but probably will do fine). Downside:
- 4:3 screen ration, not widescreen
- obviously no touchscreen
- Cost $1,650 - way too high for me

-------------

CTF700SH v2 by CarTFT
CTF700-SH V2 - VGA 7" TFT - Touchscreen USB - Autodimmer - IR Remote - Audio (600nits) -TRANSFLECTIVE PRO-

Reviewers mostly seem to like it. Sunny day images seem to look good and very readable. Downside: have to order from Europe; cost+shipping will probably be in vicinity of $700-$800 after currency conversion, which is pretty high.

--------------

LinITX transflective 7"
LinITX.com - LinITX 7" Widescreen TRANSFLECTIVE VGA/Composite with Touchscreen

Relatively cheap cost. Downside: no idea about actual quality, found very little reference and no images; not sure if they have US distributor.

------------------

Mp3car.com 7" transflective - modified Lilliput 629
New! Mp3Car 2008 7'' Transflective LED Backlit Sunlight Readable Monitor

Users swear by it, images in sunlight look good. Downside: price a bit high at $650 before shipping.

Images here:
Lilliput 8 inch Transflective vs non Transflective - MP3Car.com

--------------------

Then, this eBay seller seems to have a similar item for $599, based on the modified Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T:
Transflective Optically Bonded Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T - eBay (item 200398966183 end time Apr-24-10 18:24:32 PDT)

Judging by their description, they use superb technology for both transflective and touchscreen parts, looks good on paper. Could be better than Mp3car's above?? But no actual users feedback on this one, and their supposed comparison photos don't actually show on the eBay item page...

---------------------

What are you thoughts on transflective mobile monitors with touchscreen?

I'd like to make a purchase within a month, but am still unsure what really works for my application (see top of the post.) Hoping for someone who knows more than me, to comment.

Thanks.

Chris Lawes June 16th, 2010 09:09 AM

What did you end up choosing?

Alex Raskin June 16th, 2010 12:02 PM

Tried Lilliput 701 with transflective optically bonded mod by mo-co-so, it was OK. However it is sold for $600, and that seems to be the minimum going price of the transflective optically bonded monitors on the market... My though is that yes it is much better than non-transflective, but still not completely clear in the bright sun, and thus not really worth 3x premium in my particular case.

Which brings me to the point that Marshall Super Transflective is priced way way out of line at $1700, and that purchase is never going to happen here.

Tried Lilliput 669 (regular one, $200), it was OK for indoors, never tried it in the sun as the monitor died after a few minutes of use.

Tried 619AH (again, regular non-transflective, $200) and am liking it so far. It works, and in the sun I will use this Ikan IKSH7 SH7 Sun Hood to shade the monitor and thus preserve contrast. Will probably extend the depth of the hood if needed.

619 works fine with both my Canon 7D, and SI-2K camera.

That's it for now...

Bruce S. Yarock June 17th, 2010 03:14 AM

The Masrshall is not only 4:3. You can choose between 4:3 and 16:9. Expemsive, but I'm happy with it.
Bruce Yarock