DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   IPAD as a field monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/475823-ipad-field-monitor.html)

Rafael Diaz March 29th, 2010 01:18 PM

IPAD as a field monitor?

I think it's a cool device that might be able to work as an HD monitor -
plus you can use the 3G internet anywhere - convenient
and if your camera man gets bored, he can play some video games while the crew is setting up the next scene.

* SPECS **

Display
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Composite A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite A/V Cable

Battery and Power4
Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

APPLE: IPAD SPECS:
Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

IPAD does accept USB
http://philipbloom.co.uk/wp-content/...t-22.18.02.png

* What about using this product to accept an HDMI signal?
USB to HDMI Adapter USB 2.0 Video Card DVI and HDMI Output 1600 x1200
GrandTec USB to HDMI Video Converter - GHD-2000, $129.95

WIRELESS USB to HDMI SIGNAL:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665133-REG/Warpia_SWP100A_Wireless_USB_PC_to.html
USING THIS APP TO VIEW THE VIDEO:
Record Video On iPhone 2G/3G - iCamcorder with 15+FPS, Zoom and more Effects! for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
"Record smooth videos with high quality audio on your iPhone EDGE, 2G or 3G device!"

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?

Jonathan Palfrey March 29th, 2010 01:41 PM

you cant install your own programmes on an ipad so that usb adaptor wouldn't work unless someone developed an app. Same goes for Canon EOS Utility. I guess in theory it is possible but only if someone can develop the apps and get them approved.

It would be great if someone can work out a way because it would be a low cost high quality portable monitor and useful for other stuff to!

John Stakes March 29th, 2010 02:09 PM

Wow I didn't know iPad accepted USB. Scott Bourne I know has been discussing the possibility of using it as a monitor as well. Interesting.

JS

Kirk Candlish March 30th, 2010 12:43 AM

No apps that aren't approved by Apple will work. No hardware that isn't designed to work with Apple approved apps will work = No color calibration, no calibration app.

I expect by the time we see iPad 2.0 there will be a few apps but it'll take a while because everything is running in the same OS as an iPhone and it's a single task OS, no multitasking.

Kevin Shaw March 2nd, 2011 02:44 PM

Re: IPAD as a field monitor?

I just stumbled across this discussion, and am curious whether anything has changed in a year - especially now that the iPad2 has been announced.

I'd have reservations about using an iPad as a monitor in any setting where someone could walk off with it, but it's an interesting possibility.

Kirk Candlish March 2nd, 2011 06:07 PM

Yes things have changed, pretty much as I posted above. There are few apps and the OS is now capable of running multiple apps.

Capture One Pro 6

DSLR Camera Remote HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

ShutterSnitch for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Unfortunately Apple has not raised the resolution of the iPad or given us any way to calibrate it for color.

Wayne Reimer March 2nd, 2011 09:15 PM

also, the big sticker is still the fact that despite having also introduced an HDMI to Apple connector cable....but it's video out only.
Apple for some reason doesn't seem to want anyone feeding live video into these things. I have read a number of developers blogs about having been shot down for that reason. If you can't get it in the app store, you can't make it work.
Until "His Jobs-ness" deems otherwise, it seems we're going to be stuck looking at the ipad and dreaming of things that we can't have for some reason

Brian Henderson November 2nd, 2011 07:32 PM

I've been thinking about this too. Unfortunately, the only thing I've seen that lets you do it is the Teradeck Cube, which is about $1500. The good news is that it will feed 3 i-Pads.

Cube | World's First Camera Top HD Video Encoder Solution

I would love some simple way to run the SDI feed from my EX3 in to an i-Pad.

I saw a couple of other tablet computers that have HDMI ports on them today. Some were only ~$300.

The problem with using an i-Pad is that the screen has a lot of extra contrast and chroma to make it poppy. It would be great as a confidence, or client monitor, but I wouldn't want to use it for critical color judgement, or lighting.