DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/476893-monitors.html)

Ollie Walton April 15th, 2010 04:30 PM

Monitors

Hi i do apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

Hi i am looking at a HD 2nd monitor for my production edit suite to join with my imac and when i get a macbook pro feed it up to there.

I have looked and i love the apple 23 inch to 24 inch monitors but they are pricey

are the dell or sharp or even LG models any good?

do any of you have these?

Thanks

Ollie

Richard Gooderick April 15th, 2010 04:40 PM

Hi Ollie
I have had a Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch monitor for a couple of years and am very pleased with it.

Ollie Walton April 15th, 2010 05:08 PM

yeah thanks for the reply?

is it a good monitor? i am looking for 2nd hand apple monitors most of them have dead pixels

how much are the Dell 24 inch? are the Lg any good?

Thanks

Ollie

Richard Gooderick April 16th, 2010 07:44 AM

I think that PC Pro magazine did reviews of both monitors. You can probably find them online.
Here's one:
Dell UltraSharp U2410 review | Monitors | Reviews | PC Pro

Olof Ekbergh April 16th, 2010 08:47 AM

I use the Mac screens they really are better.

If you do any photography at all, you will really appreciate that Aperture will show you exactly what a print from a calibrated printer will look like, and ordering prints or books in Aperture come out perfect. You don't have to mess with color profiles at all, just use the apple settings.

I have also found them to be pretty close to NTSC monitors when using AJA Kona and Matrox MX02 with real evaluation monitors, not perfect but close.

Steve Kalle April 18th, 2010 01:04 PM

For the best bang-for-your-$, the new HP 24" HP ZR24w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

or NEC 23" Newegg.com - NEC Display Solutions EA231WMI-BK Black 23" 14ms(WTB) IPS Panel Height/Pivot/Swivel adjustable stand Widescreen LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 DC 3000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

(Both use IPS panels)

Shaun Roemich April 18th, 2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1515100)
I have also found them to be pretty close to NTSC monitors when using AJA Kona and Matrox MX02 with real evaluation monitors, not perfect but close.

I often "rough in" my colour correction on my Apple monitor (using FCP's Scopes tools) and then touch up on my broadcast monitor before output. The key here is to make sure you haven't "messed up" your settings. The biggest adjustments are normally related to the Red channel - not a huge surprise here in NTSC land...

Robert Turchick April 18th, 2010 04:11 PM

I've relied on my Dell 2405 and 2408FPW's for years and they are so much nicer than Apple's imho. the input selection alone makes it worthwhile. The fact you can get 2 Dell's for what you pay for one Apple doesn't hurt either. To color match my printer, I got a Spyder 3 Elite and since using that tool, I've never had an issue in either the video or print worlds.

I used to work for a company that had all Apple monitors and there were all sorts of issues that really turned me off even though I've been a Mac user for over 20 years. For some reason, they seemed to wear out much faster than the Dells. Every one of them had an unexplained "desaturated" band at the top no matter what computer it was hooked to (mac pro, mac mini, imac, macbook pro) I will say they were a bit easier on the eyes than the Dells but the lack of adjustments really is a turn off to me.

Ollie Walton April 18th, 2010 06:02 PM

Thanks Guys

yeah apple seems very pricey

How are the Dells then i am looking at about 22 inch maybe 24 if i could stretch the costs

are the LG any good?

Thanks