DP1x advice request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DP1x advice request

Have a DP1x on order, should be here in a week to ten days.

I have read many things about various DP1s; issues, praise, upgrades, etc.... just wondering if doing anything other than taking delivery of the DP1x and using it with my 5dm2 is warranted or advised from you guys with DP1 experience.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I spent most of my time on two things - working out good setups for mounting the monitor (and finding several bad ways along the way) and tweaking the picture for a preset that would meet my needs. The color range and contrast is better in the DP1x than in the original at least to my eyes so it fell into place quicker for me. Getting that stuff ironed out at home will save you a ton of time at a shoot. In other words, figure out the workflow for the monitor so you don't have to fumble with it when it counts. Other than that, just have lots of fun with it! It's a great monitor!!
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve, glad the x version has worked for you - looking forward to getting one and dialing it in soon :)
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Major Player

dont get your hopes up too high, though. The output of the 5d is still only 480p while shooting and it has to change output modes when starting recording. Very frustrating. Dp1x is supposed to be faster/smarter at changing out resolutions than original dp1, but i haven't tested it on a 5d, so I dont know how much better it is.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would be interested to know how this works out with the 480 output from the 5D. I've been thinking about getting a 5D but I'm not really keen on this particular shortcoming. I might consider a Z-finder as an option to help overcome this.
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Major Player

I hooked my 7d and 550d up to my dp1 and dp1x via the composite video out of the cameras to approximate what shooting with a 5d would be like. Since I'm in pal, i'd assume it is actually 576, not 480, but I don't know that.

On the dp1, the composite looked pretty bad. I'd rather shoot with the onboard screen for focus. (i sometimes use the composite input for jib/crane work, which is mostly framing so its fine).

The dp1x, however looks waaay better than the dp1 on composite. Night and day. Its still a far cry from HD, but I reckon focusing with the dp1x on composite would be achievable. So, in theory, the same would hold true for the recording-mode output of the 5d's hdmi.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Got my DP1x this week and plugged it into my 5Dm2 - wow! A stunning picture that makes the peaking and zebras on my Marshall seem like gimmicks. Super happy :)
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So the 480 output doesn't seem to be an issue as far as focus is concerned Greg?
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am certainly not a techy guy, but i do know focus - and this thing is Snappy! happy happy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software