Xbox, PS3, HDMI, image recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Xbox, PS3, HDMI, image recording

I'm trying to sort out a workflow to screen capture a gaming competition in October. We will be using 2 Xbox 360s for the actual competition. Alternatively, we will be using a PS3, Wii and maybe an old school NES for downtime game play.

Now I'm trying to find a device(s) to allow me to record these 3 screens either individually or together. I'm trying to avoid latency and I'd like to be able to capture them using something other than a computer.

Both audio and video are important for the final product. The HD gaming is more important than the older platforms.

Any suggestions for workflows and products?

Thank's in advance.
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're not keen on a computer for capture, a simple XDCAM EX deck (PMW-EX30) with HD-SDI in combined with a HDMI-HD-SDI converter and a HDMI splitter (so that the TV gets the feed and the recorder gets the feed) will work. Don't get confused by the HDMI port already on the back of the EX30, it's an output only, not an input. And using that port will introduce lag.

If you're trying to capture from a PS3, it's harder since the HDMI is protected. You're going to have to play in SD (480i) for your PS3. You must take the monitor out of the TV and pass it through a AV-DV device (like a camcorder with analog video in and DV out) in order to get it to the XDCAM EX deck.

XDCAM EX deck: Sony Product Detail Page - PMWEX30

Unfortunately, there is no legal way to get HDMI from the PS3 without breaking an anti-circumvention law. This is the best workflow I can recommend.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; May 21st, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

How about HD component analogue instead?
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Duncan,

That would be a great option. What workflow would you suggest?
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know any specific kit which can record three streams, or one etc. etc. I'm only suggesting component as an alternative to HDMI as the copy protection is not an issue.

I think your solution will involve several bits of kit, recorders, convertors etc.
Without an idea of budget you might not get much advice that's of any help.

You need to display and maybe mix between several HD source and record them, that's a tall order if you're on a budget.

It sounds like you'll need a scaler switcher, the kind of kit used at conferences, adding recording is another layer of complexity and expense.

I directed a conference recently using an OctoVueFX. This will take HD analogue sources and output to an HD monitor/projector, but they cost loads to hire, and only cover basic cuts and mixes. If you want multiple images on one screen your talking lots of money, thousands a day.

However if you worked in SD, you could use S-VIDEO and hire a wider range of DVE's for much less cost, and recording options would be so much easier.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Duncan,

The plan is to capture the footage for later syncing. We seem to run into a delay when the footage from the system runs into something else before it comes out to the TV. This would be maddening for a gamer because the controls need to be fluid and accurately responsive.

Budget is a less than 500.00 dollars. So far we've seen this: Blackmagic Design: Intensity

Seems like an ok solution.

We've also considered just splitting the signal and taking it straight into a computer. Thoughts?
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software