DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Best LCD/LED monitors for video editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/479547-best-lcd-led-monitors-video-editing.html)

Pablo Montano May 28th, 2010 08:23 AM

Best LCD/LED monitors for video editing

After an extensive Google search I decided to ask for help. I am ready to change my CRT monitors for LCD/LED monitors. I edit mainly corporate videos, some music videos and other business events. I am in Poland and clients want their product on SD with a growing number asking for HD. We are now shooting with Sony Z7 and editing with Abobe Premiere Pro.

My budget is OK to buy two 24" monitors from the following:

HP ZR24W
BenQ V2420
Dell 2408WFP

I will appreciate any suggestions as to which one would be best. I am also open to buy a different brand if your suggestions convince me.

Thank you very much.

Olof Ekbergh May 31st, 2010 01:42 PM

In my opinion you really need a Pal/NTSC pro monitor combined with an AJA or Matrox solution, for serious editing/grading.

My favourite monitors for this are the JVC DT series.

Like:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676143-REG/JVC_DT_V24G1Z_DT_V24G1Z_Verite_24_3G.html
It even inludes scopes. The 20" versions are very good as well.

Pablo Montano May 31st, 2010 04:40 PM

Olof, thank you for the advice. That JVC seems to be a really nice monitor... just too high price for what I need. I'm really looking for a prosumer monitor, price is a big issue for now. Thank you.

Jay West June 1st, 2010 07:14 PM

I think you are wise to get two matched monitors. I bought my twin monitors at different times and their colors are drifting increasingly further apart. It is now getting difficult enough to keep the two monitors looking the same that I've been considering replacements.

I've only seen the Dell for any extended period of time. A friend of mine has twin Dell 2408WFPs and is very pleased with them. I've done a little work with him, although he edits with Vegas 9 rather than Premiere. I found the dual monitors were pretty easy to set-up and match, and looked pretty good. There was a kind of color calibration utility (although it might have been software with the nVidia video card) Using the two monitors for some mild color correction and color matching didn't produce anything that looked peculiar when burned to a DVD and viewed on a TV screen. I guess that a recommendation of sorts.

I also turned up the HP model in recent research but haven't seen one operating outside of a store environment, yet. I'm also interested if anybody has anything to say about using them for video editing.

Regarding Olof's comment about AJA and JVC monitors or a Matrox solution, the AJA and JVC combination was way outside my budget, as well, but I have some experience with the much less expensive Matrox MXO2-mini. Last fall, when I started getting work where customers wanted to be in the edit suite, I got a Matrox MXO2 mini which I used with a medium sized Sony LCD HD-television. I watched my twin computer monitors while the customer watched the tv. (I also like editing with a three screen set-up when I'm working on mutti-camera projects.) The Matrox color-calibration was easy to use and the pictures made my customers happy. I recently upgraded to CS5. That meant going back to monitoring only on computer screens for a while. (The new Matrox drivers will not be out for another couple of weeks yet.) Two different customers have now told me that they preferred watching the TV to a computer monitor. Both customers said they liked the larger screen size and thought the colors looked better on the TV. Frankly, I preferred the tv picture myself.

I did find some quirks in working with the Matrox under CS4. These were issues with longer multi-cam projects and were probably CS4 issues. I found simple work-arounds for each of them (mostly being careful to work in short segments with nested sequences and also being careful about which screen was used for the multi-cam display). These probably won't be problems with the new drivers.

Xavier Pilsudski February 8th, 2011 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1533419)
In my opinion you really need a Pal/NTSC pro monitor combined with an AJA or Matrox solution, for serious editing/grading.

My favourite monitors for this are the JVC DT series.

Like:JVC | DT-V24G1Z Verite 24" 3G HD-SDI/SDI Studio | DT-V24G1Z

It even inludes scopes. The 20" versions are very good as well.

The post is about editing corporate events, local music videos for clients mainly requesting deliveries in SD. The gentleman is also moving from CRT to LCD...
Is he going to go for the $3700 monitor, make that $7400 since he needs 2?..... Hmm I wonder?...

Jeff Krepner February 8th, 2011 09:40 AM

Pablo, there is another thread here that I started last week. I needed a new monitor for editing in Final Cut and decided on the 30" HPZR30w. Dell also makes a nice 30". What editing program do you use?

I'd suggest a 30" to start, then perhaps a smaller display off to the side for bins, effects, and other non-critical items and use a large 30" for your timeline, preview windows, and other windows that require more precise control and accurate monitoring.

The Matrox, Blackmagic, and AJA external monitoring solutions could always be added later when the budget allows.

Here is the link to the other thread. Good luck.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...ml#post1615776

Greg Fiske February 8th, 2011 02:00 PM

The Dell U2311H and 2209WA (E-IPS) 22" Monitors are highly regarded in photography circles, would think it would also apply to video. Get a Spyder3 Pro to calibrate.