just got Marshall V- lcd651st-problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Trustee

just got Marshall V- lcd651st-problems

I spent the extra $600 for the"super transflexive filed monitor" and am not happy with its' performance in Florida sunlight ( unless I'm doing something wrong). I calbrated the montor with color bars and ended up with the following settings:

Brightness-27
Color 33
Contrast 17. ( I was cocerned that these settings were so far below the flat "50" setting).

I attempted to use the monitor yesterday in an out door music video with Canon 7d's.I couldn';t depend on it for focus or even exposure.. Granted the conditions were hars...blazing sunlight, high contrats in shade areas, etc., but I thought that the $600 ectra bought something usefull in this kind of situation.
These numbers are way below the flat setting of 50, and I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the calibration.

The pther problem is that with carefull handling, somehow we ended up with a small spot or nick on the screen itself. There was nothing sharp being used and really nothing for it to scrape against. I tried cleaning it with a lkens cloth, but didn't want to use anything else.

Any feedback or reccomendations would be great.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Up date

I just went outside ( same blazing sun, high contrast, etc.) and turned up both the brightness and contast. This helps tremndously. In addition, I used the color exposure feature to see what was over and underexposed. I was able to see the monitor much better under these conditions. I still need to do a test with my 70-200 for focus ( I had a wa tokina on this morning).

I was also able to get the mark off with a lens cloth and a tiny amount of eyeglass lens cleaner. I plan to buy the Marshall cleaning solution, which has no alcohal, unless someone has another cleaning suggestion..

Does anyone also use a sun hood with this monitor in bright sunlight? I didn't see anything under accessories, ans was wondering if anyone made one ofr this monitor.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software