matrox mxo2 mini vs. matrox mxo2 mini max at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

matrox mxo2 mini vs. matrox mxo2 mini max

I'm considering one of the two... Is there really a big difference in them?....I will primarily use it for color correction..
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Trustee

You can check the specs on the Matrox site, but I believe the max version has added functionality for accelerated H.264 encoding. If that's useless to you, get the regular one.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Moser View Post
I'm considering one of the two... Is there really a big difference in them?....I will primarily use it for color correction..
Hi Reggie,

As mentioned, the MAX version offers faster than realtime H.264 encoding for Blu-ray, web and mobile device formats. If you do any of these encodes on a regular basis, this is a huge time-saving feature!

Will you be using this on the Mac or PC? Not sure about Mac, but on the PC with CS5, using the MAX version will offer Matrox RT technology to eliminate rendering for Color Correction and a few other things. Again, big time savings with MAX option.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, the MAX version has h.264 accelleration, but it's only available from specific encoders (Adobe Media Encoder, not sure what else). If you don't need to encode h.264 at realtime, and you don't have one of the supported apps, save yourself $400. I bought one with MAX in HOPES that in the future it might be supported in something I use. I'm not holding my breath.
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Perrone you might have a point.....I'm on a Mac using Final Cut Pro....
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Moser View Post
Perrone you might have a point.....I'm on a Mac using Final Cut Pro....
I'm not sure if Compressor is one of the accelerated apps or not. Check into that first. If it is, and you do a lot of h.264 encoding, then maybe the MAX is worth it. Or maybe, like me, you just don't mind coughing up the extra cash.
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Trustee

yes it supports FCP and Compressor. Same with QT7 which is the engine of Compressor. Works like a champ!
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Remember that MAX uses the same "pipe" that the I/O does so if you buy it in the MXO2 BOX, while encoding, you lose the Input/Output capabilities of the MXO2. If you buy the separate MAX encoder PCI-e card and the MXO2 without MAX, you get I/O AND acceleration at the same time. Your call on what you need.
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Shaun,
So if I wanted to encode a project and work on another project totally seperat its best to buy the Matrox mini seperate from the Max if I want i/o options?
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Reggie: IF you want to encode at the same time as you either monitor or input video using the MXO2, yes, you would be further ahead to purchase the MXO2 and the MAX accelerator card separately. Of course, now you are using 2 of your 4 available PCI-e slots... your call as to whether you can afford to give a second one up...
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Trustee

You also need to realize that using the Max for encoding limits you to its formats and settings for each format. Digitalcontentproducer.com tested the Mini MXO2 w/ Max with Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder, and I believe it was limited to only single pass using variable bit rate. They also compared the quality of Max encoded video to regular software encoding and I think the software produced slightly better quality. You should look for the article to help you decide.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Digitalcontentproducer.com tested the Mini MXO2 w/ Max with Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder, and I believe it was limited to only single pass using variable bit rate. They also compared the quality of Max encoded video to regular software encoding and I think the software produced slightly better quality.
I was at a joint Sony/Matrox roadshow very recently and Matrox showed the opposite results, I BELIEVE as a result of new firmware and software update. If memory serves, the presets are adjustable and I'm PRETTY positive I saw an option for multiple passes using MAX. I'll see if I can dig up my literature...
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm guessing the MAX option won't increase encoding performance from an H264 format to something else, right? So Canon 7D footage encoded to ProRes, for example, wouldn't get a bump in performance using the MAX option. Is that correct?
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software