CRT EVFs & Health Issues? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CRT EVFs & Health Issues?

I think we've all been told, especially when we were younger, not to sit too close to the television screen and most recently CRT computer monitors because of potentially harmful rays that the screens emit. Wouldn't this apply to all non LCD EVF video cameras from consumer to professional over the last 30 years? I don't think there's much concern for newer cameras with LCD EVFs, but what about the camera operators who looked at the miniature CRT for hours over the decades throughout their careers? It's bad enough looking at one just with your eye but with a diopter focusing the emissions that close to your eye? I guess it hasn't been a real issue since we haven't heard about alot of videographers with eye cancer. Is there any information about this?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

I remember being told the same thing when I was young...parents made us sit back at least 6 feet from our family's black and white television because of general radiation exposure, or eye damage.

Of course, since then this has been studied up one side and down the other. A present, best available information fails to find any health risks from electromagnetic fields (EMF) or ionizing radiation from CRTs. For those with interest, here's a 1999 NIOSH compendium on the topic:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/99-135.pdf

PDF Page 64 (page 58 as printed on the page) has the conclusion paragraph related to radiation.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software