Great article about critical monitoring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Great article about critical monitoring

ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting this. The YUV-RGB difference is important to know about.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you for posting this. It is perfect for me because I use Premiere CS5, displayport from my Quadro FX3800 and a 10bit Eizo CG243W. I just want to know if I must add a YUV-RGB effect on the timeline to enable Premiere's realtime conversion.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The photo shows a MBP w/the mini-DP. But does anybody know FOR SURE if it is outputting 10bit RGB? I read further into the article that...

.... "Even though DisplayPort and HDMI can handle either YUV or RGB, so far in my experience, all of the computer implementations of DisplayPort handle RGB-only, and any HDMI computer implementations that Greg Staten has seen currently handle RGB-only. Although a driver could be written to send YUV over these computer outputs, I have two reasons why I believe maintaining them as RGB makes more sense...."

Reason I ask this is because the reply I received back from nVidia was that NONE of their G-series cards are 10 bit enabled...only their Quadro series cards from the 1800 on up...including the CX. The MBP uses the GeForce 330m card.

Confusing to say the least.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Major Player

You're welcome. It's nice to know that finally, Premiere is handling the proper conversion on it's own. I just upgraded to CS5 in combination with a GT240 graphics card. I like having the ability to connect straight from my card to my HDTV preview monitor. This eliminates the added expense of buying an in/out card.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Interesting stuff. The world of professional monitoring is actually quite a lot more complex than I ever thought it could be. Now I see why they have conferences on it every year at the hotel I work at. Glad I'm a CS5 user though, now it's time to start saving up for a nice monitor.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software