SmallHD Dp6 (aka DP-SLR) pre Review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM   #31
Major Player

Just curious, does it have the ability to pass thru a signal if I wanted to use this at the top of my DSLR + utilize my steadicam pilot's monitor? In actuality, I'd probably never do so, but just wanted to know if it was possible.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM   #32
Major Player

Yes - either via SDI or with the use of SmallHD's inexpensive and awesome HDMI splitter :)
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:19 AM   #33
New Boot

DP6 Signal Pass Through

The DP6-SLR does not support signal pass through. We did create a very small self powered HDMI splitter that can attach to one of the DP6's four 1/4 20 mount locations. See the short video at
HDMI Loop-through Splitter

The DP6-SDI provides SDI loop through, if your camera supports SDI.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

-reed
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Dp6-sdi

Got mine today and tested it out with my HPX-170 via SDI. REALLY great monitor and all the features are totally pro and then some. Having minor trouble calibrating to match bars coming from HPX; getting everything dialed exactly in except black pluge bars. Probably operator error, but I typically know how to calibrate monitors, just need to play with it more to nail it. Will test it out via HDMI on my 7D later.

Fantastic for focus, and I no longer see a need to have a client monitor actually; at least for the work I do. This monitor will really shine on that point!

Only, super-minor gripe is I wish the neoprene sleeve would fit when the battery plate is left on; too tight, it can be jammed on but I think most of us would mount the plate and prefer to leave it on. Once again, a minor request that they make a slightly bigger sleeve.

I did all the research on all competing products and know I made the right choice!
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #35
Trustee

I see some reports from Paul Joy that there is a yellow tint that makes the colour inaccurate. I do my white balance by eye balling so this would be an issue. The DP6 certainly looks very sexy to me over the marshal but the colour is indeed an issue.

Could you do a comparison? Thks.
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #36
Major Player

Yes it's a weird one. I'm getting very yellow greens and a yellow tint in general but the guys at smallHD assure me that they are not seeing the same results. I've even tried a second DP6 to see if I had a faulty unit. Certainly the other reviews that are popping up on the net don't mention this problem so it's a bit of a mystery why I'm seeing these results when they are not.

Here's my initial impressions post: SmallHD DP6 first impressions | Paul Joy

And some fun while I have two of them: Dual SmallHD DP6 monitoring | Paul Joy

I'm hoping it's something easily sorted as the DP6 is fantastic in every other way, small, light, tough and very functional.

Last edited by Paul Joy; October 5th, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #37
New Boot

Hey if anyone else has experienced this, or if any of the people that have experienced it, find the solution/resolution please give your feedback. I really want to hear how this plays out, because I am ready to drop my coins on a monitor and want to make the right choice.

I really like the DP6 and want to go that way, but I need to hear the results of this "yellow tinge" issue before I purchase. So as of right now I am having a hard time deciding between the DP6 and Marshall V-LCD70XP.

Regards,

G.
Greg Robison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #38
Major Player

No issues here. The color is very good, and definitely nothing weird like green or yellow "tinge"

Seems to be an isolated issue, IF it's an issue at all. Definitely not a reason to avoid this monitor.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Robison View Post
Hey if anyone else has experienced this, or if any of the people that have experienced it, find the solution/resolution please give your feedback. I really want to hear how this plays out, because I am ready to drop my coins on a monitor and want to make the right choice.

I really like the DP6 and want to go that way, but I need to hear the results of this "yellow tinge" issue before I purchase. So as of right now I am having a hard time deciding between the DP6 and Marshall V-LCD70XP.

Regards,

G.
Hey Greg, I'm in the same position as you but the sexy DP-6 is really hard to resist..!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #40
New Boot

Indeed it is.

Regards,

G.
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #41
Major Player

I thought i'd been pretty thorough on my ramblings, but stuff might get lost in the ramble.

Each firmware update has been bringing the colors closer in line to what i'd expect them to be, but there is still some room for improvement. However, i didn't put much weight into it because its not a grading monitor and because color is the one thing that built-in screens usually do really well. If i'm going to adjust color balance by feel, i'll do it from the on-camera screen where the rez is cruddy but the color is fantastic.

I haven't seen a "yellow tinge" in particular, but I have noticed some skin tones are rendered a little funky in certain scenarios. I'd love for it to get tweaked in a future firmware, but I didn't buy the dp6 for its color rendition, so i've been happy to wait and see what the firmware holds.

My 2c anyways. Cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #42
Regular Crew

v1.2 is on the way, and will address all these minor concerns.

Jon, your pluge issue will be resolved with 1.2 (our error, not yours)
Paul, well you know.... we're working on it

1.2 brings some useful new tools as well as some fixes to the table. So stay tuned, and maybe some of these guys can chime back in once they've had a run at it.

Thanks!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #43
Major Player

Yellow Tinge

I experienced that with my DP6 as well. I noticed a big difference between the LCD on my 5D and the DP6. However, it wasn't always noticeable.

Maybe when the monitor warms up, it goes away?

All I can say is that the guys at smallHD are awesome and they take VERY good care of their customers. I've been more than satisfied with their customer service as well as their products.
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #44
New Boot

Well I bit the proverbial bullet today. I guess I will see for myself the deal with this color stuff.

I have to say that a big part of my decision to go SmallHD was everyone raving about how well they take care of their customers. I hope you all are right.

Regards,

G.
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I am lucky enough to work close to the SmallHD shop in Apex NC so I dropped by to pick up my monitor today. Just so you know the folks at SmallHD are as nice in person as everyone says they are over email. I brought in a camera (Ex1r) and they hooked everything up and walked me through all the features. When I left I knew I had bought the right kit.

When you hold this thing in your hand you know its NOT a toy. Its the real thing. The screen is RAZOR sharp. Determining focus using the DP6 is a piece of cake. The clip-on screen protectors are an absolute MUST. Don't buy it without them.

We will be using it this weekend as we shoot some test footage for an indie movie. I have high expectations for the little monitor.

I'll keep ya posted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software