What's the differences in the Noga Cinearms? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

What's the differences in the Noga Cinearms?

I'm attaching a Marshall LCD70XP to my rig. I see Noga DG1108ca and DF1108ca "Hold It" Cinearms. There's also NF 6145CA Cinearms. The photos are all similar and prices vary. The Marshall recommended DG1108CA is out of stock pretty much everywhere except the high markup places (supply/demand I suppose).

Anyway, does anyone know the difference between these mounts? Any recommended ones or NOT recommended ones? What about alternatives to Noga (I see Delmount and Ikan). TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I'm attaching a Marshall LCD70XP to my rig. I see Noga DG1108ca and DF1108ca "Hold It" Cinearms. There's also NF 6145CA Cinearms. The photos are all similar and prices vary. The Marshall recommended DG1108CA is out of stock pretty much everywhere except the high markup places (supply/demand I suppose).

Anyway, does anyone know the difference between these mounts? Any recommended ones or NOT recommended ones? What about alternatives to Noga (I see Delmount and Ikan). TIA
I've never seen a df1108ca. I've seen the nf1108ca and I couldnt find any difference from the dg1108ca other than price and availability. Noga makes a lot of arms for a lot of industries. Its possible the dg and nf are marketed for different purposes but places like b&h list them both.

I have a noga arm and it is fantastic. I have a pair of redrock arms that look basically identical but are horrible to use. I mean, I wont use them on anything i care about because they are so jerky to use and can unscrew and fall apart as you work them. I wont be buying a non-noga arm again. I wrote one of my epic ramble review of the redrock here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...rm-report.html

The variables you want to consider with the noga arm are:

1. the length. They make a few lengths.
2. the screw sizes on the end. Some are 1/4-20 on both ends, some are 1/4-20 on one and 3/8 on the other. You need the one that works with whatever you are screwing to. I bought the one with 1/4 on both ends, but kinda wish i'd got 3/8 on one end for more rugged mounting.
3. The quick release plates. If you dont mind threading and unthreading each time, this isn't critical. If you do, consider the nogas with the quick releases. They are expensive, but really compact and sturdy.
4. The hot shoe mount. I don't understand how this is supposed to work. The giant tube thing is awkward, is threaded on one side with 1/4 and the other with 3/8 but comes with the 1/4+1/4 arms. and worse is I don't get how its supposed to be used. Why is it so giant? When is that an advantage?. On the other hand, i use the "shoe" bolt with other finger nuts to connect a tiny ball head to my shoe for the dp6, which works great. I'm sure there is a cheaper solution that doesn't include buying and disposing of the giant tube thing.
5. The t-bracket mounting plate. I can't picture why you'd need it... if you have a thread to mount the plate into, why not screw the arm into that? I might be missing something there... perhaps so you can mount multiple arms into one hole? Or perhaps to mount a 3/8 into a 1/4 hole? dunno.

Don't know if that helps or clouds the decision, but thats my feedback. Lunch is over, back to the shoot!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Trustee

I like my Zacuto arm.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I went with the Ikan from B&H and it works great on my EX1R
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software