DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Powering a HD/SD SDI to HDMI Converter in the field? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/484411-powering-hd-sd-sdi-hdmi-converter-field.html)

Michael Lyas September 8th, 2010 12:07 AM

Powering a HD/SD SDI to HDMI Converter in the field?

Hi

I owned a SmallHD DP1 before I purchased my Panasonic 302EN.

I feed the second HD SDI output of my Panasonic camera into the DP1 via a Datavideo DAC-8 HD/SD SDI to HDMI converter: Datavideo Technologies Co. DAC-8 - HD / SD-SDI to HDMI Converter

The DAC-8 is powered from the mains via an AC adapter that is rated at 12v 1.5a, on the back of the Panny is a DC OUT 12v 1.5a output, but in consultation with Datavideo the power feed for the DAC-8 must be regulated and the Panny manual clearly points out that the DC OUTPUT on the back of the Panny is unregulated.

I have IDX V-Mount battery adapter on the back of the camera, something like this: P-VS2 | IDX Tek

I use Sony BP-GL95A batteries with the V-Mount

The IDX V-Mount plate has a D-TAP output that is rated at 50 Watts.

I am seeking any advice on weather the output via the D-TAP connector on the IDX V-Mount would safely power the DAC-8 in the field or would the 50 watt output be to powerful for the DAC-8 converter and / or is the output of the IDX V-Mount D-TAP regulated or unregulated.

I've made further inquiries from IDX, SmallHD and Datavideo, but still waiting for their advice.

Or alternatively is there a 12v 1.5a regulated power supply that is suited for field use?

Any opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Michael

John Peterson September 8th, 2010 08:23 AM

An automotive battery should work. There are smaller ones as well as motorcycle batteries and lawn and tractor batteries.

John

Giroud Francois September 8th, 2010 10:41 AM

you can find NiMh or Li-ion battery pack for cheap allowing fixed or several voltage output for cheap.
check batteryspace.com or other provided.

Dan Keaton September 8th, 2010 07:32 PM

Dear Michael,

If the device requires regulated 12V power, it may require a power supply that produces 12 volts or something very close to it.

If so, an automobile battery may not work, and may damage the equipment.

I would consult with the manufacturer.

Michael Lyas September 9th, 2010 12:30 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for your opinions. I may be "flying a kite" here, but if you don't ask ...

Anyway, still trying to find out more about d-tap power spec's, not having a lot of luck googling.

Cheers

Michael

Dan Keaton September 9th, 2010 06:50 AM

Dear Michael,

The P-Tap or D-Tap (it is called both), is just an electrical connector.

The voltage depends on the source.

Typically, this source is rated at 14.4 volts, but a recently charged lithium-ion battery can be much higher than than, then can go down as low as 10 to 11 volts or so.

The P-Tap or D-Tap power is not regulated and, in my opinion, will destroy your device when the high voltage of a freshly charged battery feeds the unit.

Michael Lyas September 9th, 2010 04:37 PM

Hi

I have just received information from Wes from SmallHD. Problem solved with this : DP1x D-Tap Power Kit

My biggest fear and lack of knowledge all things electrical has been set straight by Wes who advises me that the 12-32v adapter will supply only the current needed from the D-TAP source. ie the DAC-8 will only draw what it needs and will be a 12v regulated power supply.

Many thanks to SmallHD.

Cheers

michael

Giroud Francois September 10th, 2010 12:25 AM

80$ for a 2$ regulator is a bit expensive

just make sure your output is delivering 14.4 to 17V, because regulators need at least +3V from the source to work (+1V for low drop), so no chance to get 12V from a 7.2 or 13V source unless you use a DCD/DC converter.

Michael Lyas September 14th, 2010 06:32 PM

Hi

If anyone has been following this thread I can advise you that the D-TAP powering kit from SmallHD works a treat.

The Sony batteries are rated at 14.8v so I'm guessing that will account for any power spikes the DAC-8 converter might need.

The only issue is that very hot spots can have some small blue outlines corresponding to the zebra stripes in the on camera LCD, but when I close the iris down to minimise the zebra the blue outlines dissappear as well.

Price? Well all things electronic is a precise science and and I only have the basics. I'm now up and running to take my rig outdoors with the 9" monitor, I guess it's worth the $80.

Thanks to Wes at SmallHD for taking the time to sort my problem out.

Cheers

Michael