Powering a HD/SD SDI to HDMI Converter in the field? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Powering a HD/SD SDI to HDMI Converter in the field?

Hi

I owned a SmallHD DP1 before I purchased my Panasonic 302EN.

I feed the second HD SDI output of my Panasonic camera into the DP1 via a Datavideo DAC-8 HD/SD SDI to HDMI converter: Datavideo Technologies Co. DAC-8 - HD / SD-SDI to HDMI Converter

The DAC-8 is powered from the mains via an AC adapter that is rated at 12v 1.5a, on the back of the Panny is a DC OUT 12v 1.5a output, but in consultation with Datavideo the power feed for the DAC-8 must be regulated and the Panny manual clearly points out that the DC OUTPUT on the back of the Panny is unregulated.

I have IDX V-Mount battery adapter on the back of the camera, something like this: P-VS2 | IDX Tek

I use Sony BP-GL95A batteries with the V-Mount

The IDX V-Mount plate has a D-TAP output that is rated at 50 Watts.

I am seeking any advice on weather the output via the D-TAP connector on the IDX V-Mount would safely power the DAC-8 in the field or would the 50 watt output be to powerful for the DAC-8 converter and / or is the output of the IDX V-Mount D-TAP regulated or unregulated.

I've made further inquiries from IDX, SmallHD and Datavideo, but still waiting for their advice.

Or alternatively is there a 12v 1.5a regulated power supply that is suited for field use?

Any opinions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Major Player

An automotive battery should work. There are smaller ones as well as motorcycle batteries and lawn and tractor batteries.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

you can find NiMh or Li-ion battery pack for cheap allowing fixed or several voltage output for cheap.
check batteryspace.com or other provided.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

If the device requires regulated 12V power, it may require a power supply that produces 12 volts or something very close to it.

If so, an automobile battery may not work, and may damage the equipment.

I would consult with the manufacturer.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi guys

Thanks for your opinions. I may be "flying a kite" here, but if you don't ask ...

Anyway, still trying to find out more about d-tap power spec's, not having a lot of luck googling.

Cheers

Michael
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

The P-Tap or D-Tap (it is called both), is just an electrical connector.

The voltage depends on the source.

Typically, this source is rated at 14.4 volts, but a recently charged lithium-ion battery can be much higher than than, then can go down as low as 10 to 11 volts or so.

The P-Tap or D-Tap power is not regulated and, in my opinion, will destroy your device when the high voltage of a freshly charged battery feeds the unit.
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi

I have just received information from Wes from SmallHD. Problem solved with this : DP1x D-Tap Power Kit

My biggest fear and lack of knowledge all things electrical has been set straight by Wes who advises me that the 12-32v adapter will supply only the current needed from the D-TAP source. ie the DAC-8 will only draw what it needs and will be a 12v regulated power supply.

Many thanks to SmallHD.

Cheers

michael
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

80$ for a 2$ regulator is a bit expensive

just make sure your output is delivering 14.4 to 17V, because regulators need at least +3V from the source to work (+1V for low drop), so no chance to get 12V from a 7.2 or 13V source unless you use a DCD/DC converter.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi

If anyone has been following this thread I can advise you that the D-TAP powering kit from SmallHD works a treat.

The Sony batteries are rated at 14.8v so I'm guessing that will account for any power spikes the DAC-8 converter might need.

The only issue is that very hot spots can have some small blue outlines corresponding to the zebra stripes in the on camera LCD, but when I close the iris down to minimise the zebra the blue outlines dissappear as well.

Price? Well all things electronic is a precise science and and I only have the basics. I'm now up and running to take my rig outdoors with the 9" monitor, I guess it's worth the $80.

Thanks to Wes at SmallHD for taking the time to sort my problem out.

Cheers

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software