Need advice: Simple live playback setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Need advice: Simple live playback setup

Hi guys

I've recently edited together footage for a theatrical production. It is pretty simple with only 3 cues but it starts and ends the show so is very important. It is video and audio synced and the audio will need to be routed through the sound system. We originally had a DMX cued system arranged but have canceled as it can't output the audio as required.

They can't afford me or a separate op to cue just 3 cues for every performance, so the (Deputy) Stage Manager will do it. Therefore I need a very simple system that can playback instantly on cue from a laptop. Ideally it would work with the projector acting as the secondary monitor and the laptop monitor showing the cues etc.

I'm thinking along the lines of an itunes (ie simple) interface where the DSM can just select the cue and then hit space bar to play it instantly. I considered tape but as the timing is critical this could be tricky and I'm not sure if the DSM will want to be cuing it up whilst concentrating on other things.

I am familiar with high end systems like Catalyst but that is overkill for this. Budget is tight.

Many thanks!!!
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Have a look at QLab Figure 53 | QLab | Live Show Control for Mac OS X
We have started using it for shows and so far have been happy with it.
If you already have a mac book it will probably fit within your budget.

It can do far more than simple video playback - but that is all we are using it for at the moment.
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #3
Major Player

This probably isnt helpful to your particular situation, but for live stuff i use liveworship or propresenter. Its funky since both are designed to be church software, but both are great for having a library of video clips that you can play instantly on demand in order or just nonlinear with a click.

I already own liveworship for my church and propresenter for my mate's church, so the price isn't an issue as it would be if you were buying it cold.

It sucks that they've intentionally crippled itunes for dual head video playback. Its more than capable of doing it, if they'd let it. Then you could have your videos "like itunes" actually be in itunes!

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I'm taking a look at the demos now.

Any other ideas welcome as I don't need to buy just yet.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Major Player

If your needs are really that simple, you might be able to do this with VLC player, which is free.

videolan.org
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software