What is needed between Comp and Monitor, for color correcting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 24th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Major Player

What is needed between Comp and Monitor, for color correcting?

I've been browsing around the monitor section, for the last few weeks, checking out posts here and there. I understand the need for a quality monitor, for use in color correcting, and also the need for proper calibration. What I'm a bit fuzzy on is the correct way to connect the monitor to the computer, so that it gets the right signal for accurate color reproduction? I like to try and search past threads, to try and answer my questions, but I guess what I'm reading isn't registering in my head.

So my question is, besides a computer, good monitor, and calibration software/device, what is needed to go between the comp and the monitor?

I've seen mention of the Matrix MXO2 mini, I've checked it out on B&H, but I'm still not fully understanding. Could someone be kind enough to give me a little incite? I'm not against spending money to get things correct. I'd much prefer to stay closer to 2k (or less) then 5k plus, but I like to get things done right the first time, and sometimes that means not skimping.

I'm using a Mac Pro, with a Quadro 4000 video card. Programs are Apples FC studio, and Adobe CS5 (and someday possibly Cinema 4D).

I read the thread about using Premier, and being able to output propor signal for accurate color, but I'd like to set up so that I'm getting true color no matter what program I'm using.

Thank you for the help, and information.
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
New Boot

What kind of monitor

What kind of monitor are you trying to connect? If you are using a computer monitor then the MXO is what you want not the mxo2. MXO is a box for pass through of the DVI signal. Mxo2 mini output hdmi and component.

If you really want to get good color accuracy, then get a real broadcast monitor and output card like a kona lhe and pair it with a Flander Scientific monitor. Above 2k but below 5k considerably.
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't gotten a monitor for color correcting yet. Trying to figure out what is what. I'm looking to add what I need too, so that I can have a reasonable setup, but since I don't know what it is I'm looking to add to make this happen, that's what I'm trying to find out.

I'm not asking for specific hardware, simply the reasoning for getting hardware at all.

Like, will a Quadro 4000 video card output the right signal, to connect to <insert hardware or monitor here>?

Or do I need to find a different graphics card to connect to a calibrated monitor (most likely a lcd)?

If I have a special graphics card, and proper monitor, do I need an in between for them? If I do, or don't, can anyone explain why? I'm just trying to gain the knowlege, so I kind of know what I'm suppose to do.

I'm not looking for someone to go tell me to by product "X" or "Y", but the reasons why I need those products. If there is a book, or website tutorial, a link would be perfect. I have a stack of books on various aspects of what I'm trying to do, so I don't always need someone to hold my hand the whole way, just get me going in the right direction is all.

If I'm running 2 cheapo monitor (24 or 27 inches), that I will use for my work, then add a 3rd for color correction (figure I will leave off, and if I want to tweak the colors fast, in my nle, I can drag over to that screen, or when I go to do final corrections, do same thing).

Just trying to figure out what I need to do to go from computer to monitor for optimal color correction? And if that solution can be had at a reasonable price?
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Did you read the article on provideocoalition.com about Premiere and pro I/O solutions?

To answer WHY you need this or that: it depends on your type of work. If you are making video solely for the web, then color critical hardware is not so important, but it is with video for broadcast.

If your budget and work allows, I would get an Eizo CG243W. Why? It is a 10bit LCD which can connect to your 10bit Quadro and view Premiere Pro CS5 in 10bit. Actually, I just remembered you are on a Mac and I don't know if Adobe, Apple and Nvidia have enabled the 10bit pipeline like we have on PCs. I have a Quadro, that Eizo and CS5 on Windows 7 and I know when Premiere is 10bit enabled because the screen flashes when opening a project.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Jeff, read this:

ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Maybe this might help:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...-matrox-2.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software