DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   DisplayPort and video out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/489344-displayport-video-out.html)

Bob Krieger December 25th, 2010 02:38 PM

DisplayPort and video out

I'm running Adobe Premiere CS5 on a Dell Precision M4500. The machine is equipped with a Displayport. There is an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter available online. Has anyone tried to connect this to an HDMI monitor? I'm looking for simple mobile HDMI monitoring during editing. Color correction will happen at a later date so color fidelity isn't an issue just yet. Is this possible?

TIA...

P.S., I can connect a Matrox MXO2 mini to the machine via its ExpressCard slot, but would rather spend $20 for an adapter rather than $500.00 for simple monitoring during moble editing. Thoughts?

Pete Bauer December 25th, 2010 03:33 PM

Should work fine; just double check to make sure you order the correct gender for each side of the connector so your cables fit. I don't think I've done DisplayPort to HDMI, but haven't heard of anyone having problems and for me DP to DVI and DVI to HDMI have both worked perfectly well.

Sareesh Sudhakaran December 25th, 2010 10:56 PM

If color isn't an issue, then you can mix and match anything and work in any video space. DVI-HDMI-DP-HDSDI-VGA etc. Any adapter will do fine.

Bob Krieger December 26th, 2010 09:06 AM

Very cool. The adapter is only about $20.00, so it's worth a shot. Thanks for the input!

Ben Pierce December 29th, 2010 05:46 PM

Recently connected my HP laptop with DisplayPort to a Sharp Aquos HDTV that has HDMI in. Worked just fine.

Brian Tori December 30th, 2010 11:52 AM

Not only will it work, but it will be color accurate. CS5 makes this possible.

ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper

Steve Kalle December 30th, 2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Tori (Post 1603071)
Not only will it work, but it will be color accurate. CS5 makes this possible.

Sorry, but the connection's interface does not determine color accuracy. Good color accuracy (for HD) begins at $2,000+ LCDs (Dreamcolor, Eizo).

Sareesh Sudhakaran December 31st, 2010 10:44 PM

it's high time somebody wrote a definitive book on the subject....maybe in this new year!

Brian Tori January 1st, 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1603171)
Sorry, but the connection's interface does not determine color accuracy. Good color accuracy (for HD) begins at $2,000+ LCDs (Dreamcolor, Eizo).

I did not say that the connection interface determines accuracy. I said that the connection in question in combination with CS5 will be color accurate. Up until now, using computer HDMI or Displayport would yield insufficient results. CS5 changes all this. It is no longer necessary to have a pro i/o for color correction purposes. Read the link I posted to learn more.

Even if you do not yet have CS5, accurate color correction can be had for much less than you stated. A simple Blackmagic Intensity card is @$200, which will get correct colors to a monitor. Sony's LMD series of monitors can be had at @$1,000 to start which are factory calibrated to display 709 space accurately.