Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 10th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

Can't seem to find it on the Sony site yet, but I thought this was an interesting "accessory". Makes it look like Sony might be stepping it up a notch in the video department?

Sony Alpha CLM-V55 movie monitor hands on - Pocket-lint

Certainly is an interesting add-on and as the article notes, might open up some possibilities for the HDMI out when the firmware updates come out.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Major Player

If you put an external recorder on the NEX-VG10, this would be a possible option for the external monitor there as well...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Major Player

The original article in Sony's site: http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/d...3&NewsAreaId=2

Though I shoot & film using a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, I am pretty excited with this Sony gadget. The price of external LCD viewers like Zacuto is similar. LCDVF is about half of it. I use a LCDVF however, I would prefer an external monitor like this which can be mounted on the flash bracket. Also, while filming, when the record button in the DSLR is on, one cannot zoom in to check the focus. This will help in that regard.

When one compares the pricing of this one with other external monitors, this one is likely to be preferred.

It also says that one can monitor the sound (mono speaker) using a headphone. Would love to hear if someone has experienced it.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm ready to jump on this for my NX5 as soon as it's released...
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here's a hands on overview of the SONY CLM-V55

Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Re: Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

I don't get it...there are all this monitors intended for DSLRs but almost none of the have a waveform or at least zebras (some of them have false colour yes, but a waveform is a must if you ask me...). I found only one monitor that is intended! for DSLR users which has a waveform - SWIT S1070+C. Interesting enough I can't find a single review of that monitor and by functions it looks like a perfect fit for a dslr...

Anyway this monitor from Sony looks quite decent for it's price tag (judging from the video review). I like the viewing angles (side to side) - to bad he didn't tilt the monitor up and down to see the vertical viewing angles!
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What's not to understand ?

How many DSLR users do you think would even have a clue about using a waveform on their monitor ?

The market is driven by wannabes and the price points of peripherals are low given the market. That's where the SONY fits in. It is a good value but it's not a pro monitor.
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
What's not to understand ?
The market is driven by wannabes and the price points of peripherals are low given the market.
If you put it like that then yes: it is understandable why this monitors aimed at dslr users don't have waveforms and other must features. But there also are lots of people that know what they are doing and would appreciate waveforms and zebras in a low cost monitor (price range around 600€ - 800€). There are so many monitors with tons of useful features but almost none with a waveform. If you ask me: remove all those features and just give me a waveform and maybe zebras! That way the price of a monitor wouldn't change...

It's funny because exposure monitoring should be the first thing on the list of features not the last...
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I think if you spoke with most new video shooters who are using DSLRs you'd find peaking is what they want most.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger View Post
It's funny because exposure monitoring should be the first thing on the list of features not the last...
I always thought that focus monitoring is the first thing in the list, and if I had to choose less expensive monitor I would be more interested in focus assist features, like peaking;
but that's me;
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Focusing yes... I don't know. I guess that would depend on what you are doing. For run and gun I guess a focussing feature would be more welcomed. But for narrative video shooting where there is time I would welcome an exposure feature more than focusing. If I have time to focus and if I would need to chose between this to features I would go for a waveform. Doing lighting by eye is a very limiting thing to do...

It all depends on what you are doing.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Major Player

Looks like its showing up at dealers!

CLM-V55 | Portable Monitor| Sony | Sony Style USA
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Trustee

i wonder how does it compare to the 5" Marshall
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #14
Major Player

I am really considering this for monitoring my Nanoflash. Has anyone got one yet?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #15
Trustee

I might be wrong but I thought you had to have an SDI signal to get waveform which is why the inexpensive monitors, which have HDMI but no SDI, do not have waveform.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software