30" monitor display for video editing - NEC or Dell? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 25th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Tourist

30" monitor display for video editing - NEC or Dell?

Hello,

I'm going to purchase a monitor display for 3D and video editing purposes (I mean especially color correction, so good color reproduction is a must). And ocasianally some gaming.

I'm thinking of two 30" models. Dell U3011 and NEC MultiSync PA301W (which is twice as expensive).

Now, NEC is (as I hear) a professional-grade product designed sorely for CGI pursposes. But from what I can spot on the site:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4196/n...0-inch-display

the latter monitor, Dell, has most of the crutial parameters, like Delta E, Color Gamut, display uniformity, etc. very similar to NEC, and is 2 times cheaper. It has also better response time (7ms, NEC's is 12 ms - is it of any concern in video editing?).

How about input lag - is it of any conern here (video and audio synchronization during playback)? (NEC seems a bit better - it has input lag of 17ms, Dell has 24).

And the last one: will Gretag Macbeth I1 color calibrator be suitable here?

Thanks.
Marcin Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 30" monitor display for video editing - NEC or Dell?

Hi Marcin,

I can't speak for the NEC, but I have the Dell U3011, and love it. I calibrate it with a Spyder3Elite, and haven't had any issues with it. I'm using it hooked up to a 2009 Mac Pro, but plan on upgrading my video card in the future (I want multiple mini displayport connections). The 2550x1600 resolution is incredible, and can't imagine having to go back to using smaller screens. I have a 19 inch monitor hooked up with it, but that is used mostly for bins. Eventually I am going to replace that with another U3011 or a 24" dell ultra sharp (for cost purposes).

Using the Spyder3 gets my monitor close, as far as color accuracy for video. But I'm sure as anyone on here will tell you, nothing replaces a professional I/O card (feeding the correct signal) and a true broadcast monitor, when it comes to color correcting for broadcast.

Over on another forum, I've been researching using a Panasonic Plasma, that is ISF calibrated, and an I/O card (like a Kona or Blackmagic card) for color correcting. I've been told that combination is in use (as client monitors) at a lot of color houses. Again, nothing beats a true broadcast monitor, but the card and Panasonic plasma is the route I plan to go, until I can afford the broadcast monitor.

Sorry I took you off your original question, but thought I would just mention (which you might have already known) about using computer monitors for color correcting.

I do love my dell and highly recommend it.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software