DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/496478-zucato-evf-vs-smallhd-6dp.html)

Greg Fiske May 27th, 2011 11:56 AM

Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp

For wedding work, when would you use an EVF over a monitor? I'm used to EVF's for videocameras, but reluctant on dslr's, one because of the focus accuracy and two because it seems like the unit would move all over the place when you put your face up to it.

Art Varga May 27th, 2011 03:09 PM

Re: Zucato EVF vs. the smallhd 6dp

Greg - I just started using the dp6 and like it a lot. For me the EVFs seemed too confining, for example if you wanted to position the cam at a low angle, your face would have to be right down there with it. The dp6 comes with dslr presets so it scales everything nicely and uses all of the screen. The one drawback for 5D users is the that the output reverts back to SD when you hit record making it harder to focus (not a problem with the 7D). The latest firmware though includes peaking and false color which helps.

Art

Zhong Cheung May 29th, 2011 03:13 PM

Could someone explain the difference between an EVF and monitor to me?

AFAIK, isnt' an EVF just a small external monitor with a magnifying loupe in front of it? In essence, isn't an EVF an external monitor then?

Jim Snow May 30th, 2011 09:56 AM

This article shows some good ways to mount the Zacuto EVF. Zacuto EVF Test Drive at DVInfo.net

This allows a great deal of flexibility. Another very useful benefit with the Zacuto EVF is outdoor weddings. The worst case scenario with a LCD display is a morning or afternoon wedding with the sunlight coming from your back. Even viewing hoods don't work well in this case with LCD monitors. The Zacuto EVF blocks out all light when you are using it. If you still have an occasional LCD 'moment' when you crave a LCD display, just flip the eyepieces up and you have a very sharp LCD display.

Nino Leitner June 5th, 2011 07:39 AM

I just finished my extensive review of the Zacuto EVF, check it out on my blog - to my knowledge it's the most comprehensive anywhere to be found:

Zacuto Z-Finder EVF – Review | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner - DSLR video, filmmaking & more

Let me know what you think!

Greg Fiske June 5th, 2011 10:16 AM

Thanks for the review! Great read.

Dan Asseff June 28th, 2011 06:37 AM

What about this monitor. Announcing the all new DP4 & DP4-EVF from SmallHD I wonder if the build is better. I have read there were problems with the Zucato model.

Dan