VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM   #1
New Boot

VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!

I wanted to share this because I think the VFM-056WP is worth a hard look for those in the market for a quality on-camera monitor.
After investigating so many monitors myself (and returning one) I found the WP version to be the best on-camera monitor for the (discounted) price.

I have not seen a review in the Magazines I get, so I had no idea they existed. (no advertising = no review?)
I found the company, TV Logic manufactures some very high end monitors and put that technology (scopes and more) into the VFM-056WP.

It's packed with more versatility and features then all the other monitors I considered. It's 5.6 inches , widescreen, weights 10 5/8 oz. 1280x800 res. has a 2 yr. warranty and can zoom, scale and/or scan (huge plus for D5 mark ll users) including 1:1 pixel.
Menu, controls, user preferences are extensive.
Focus Assist/Peaking for example is offered in three colors: red, blue or green with adjustable intensity from 0 to 100.
You have one click/button access to one control with access to 14 more controls in two clicks. (peaking to y levels to scopes to etc)

Retail is $1595. I got it for $245 less then retail (sorry, not appropriate to say how on this form, but it can be found if you dig)

Check it out:
TVLogic ? 5.6" High-Resolution Compact LCD Monitor
Rob Rippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!

I'm guessing you left a 1 out from in front of the 2???
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Magazines? Do people still read those things? ;-)

Here's a video 'overview' from abelcine: YouTube - ‪Monitoring with TV Logic's VFM-056WP‬‏

and a blog review here:

TV Logic’s New Compact 5.6″ 1280×800 LCD Monitors The Filmtools Blog

It looks like a sweet monitor if you really need all the extras is has. However for me something like a Dp6 with the same resolution and an equally impressive feature set at only $899...kinda trumps it overall. But horses for courses I guess

Also SmallHD have a special on at the moment with a Dp6 bundle including accessories which makes it even tougher to beat.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rippe View Post

Retail is $1595. I got it for $245. less then retail

making it $1350.

I would eliminate the math and reword it but the edit option is not available to this post.
Apologies.
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Took out that period for you, so that it reads "$245 less than retail."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Trustee

The SmallHD DP6 is a nice monitor but the $899 model does not have an SDI input. To get that you have to jump to the $1299 model. So the difference is slight for those who need SDI. Also, when I compared the two side by side and against a Panasonic Production monitor we found the TVLogic to have more accurate colors. I also found a good deal on the TVLogic so I went with that one and have to admit it is a great little monitor.

But, both are stand outs when compared to the usual selection of small field monitors.

-Garrett
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks CH for losing the " . "

As Garrett corrected it's a $50 difference.
For me I can't shake SmallHD's old website that was offline forever and that old homemade video (anyone remember)
of a guy holding a huge TV monitor with extension cord running all over? funny video.

I like the fact that TV LOGIC produces a 10bit 4k $66,000 monitor.
They have a heavy weight list of costumers: Panavision, Technicolor, Deluxe, Sony Pictures, and 40 odd more.
The VFM-056WP has both a Waveform and Vector Scope built in.
Their warranty is for two years.
That I could view their User Manual and spec sheet online before I bought (unlike others)

I didn't say "who's" monitor I sent back in my original post because
I wanted to avoid off topic spins.

I posted to get a off the radar monitor on peoples radar.
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Rob,
I was wondering how the tv logic looks when you are vertically off axis? I have the small hd dp1 with the x upgrade and it suffers considerably when you are looking up or down at it.

Thank You

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #9
New Boot

not a problem. Here are some pix (via canon 7D) , from iphone, reduced and on the fly (maybe not in pix but image looks the same at all angles). I have a iPad screen protector on the monitor also you might notice the VFM-056WP reads VFM-056W the P is listed as PREMIUM in the silver band at top right.
Attached Thumbnails
VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!-front.jpg   VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!-looking-down.jpg  

VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!-looking-up.jpg   VFM-056WP A sweet "off the radar" monitor!-looking-side.jpg  

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Rob,
I guess I should have been more clear in my post. My complaint with the small hd is that the luminance value seems to change if you are off axis and your pictures seem to show the same symptoms. Perhaps it is a problem inherent to all small form lcd's or maybe some are better than others. This is not something I see on my 50" plasma or 22" Dell computer lcd. I will have check into this further.

Thanks
mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #11
New Boot

Pix on the fly... probably a bad idea, in shooting I did move the monitor 180° and iPhone is color correcting each picture.
Maybe someone who knows both can chime in. I don't feel it has the issue but I haven't seen what the DP1 does off axis.

Last edited by Rob Rippe; June 9th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Major Player

I am trying to decide between a DP6 or the VFM-056WP so this is a timely thread.

I am hoping to use the selected monitor in a simple two camera set-up for natural history shots. One camera will be an EX3 and the other a Panasonic TM 900. I am assured by Small HD that I will be able to simultaneously connect both cameras to the monitor and use the supplied remote to choose which camera’s output is displayed. I am also assured that the DP6 will handle the output of the TM 900 (1080 p50) which is something that a borrowed 5” Marshall could not do. I rather like the idea of the DP6’s High / Low variation of the false colour capability as aid to exposure setting. In this setting areas that are sufficiently under or over exposed to lose information are coloured whereas adequately exposed areas are in monochrome.

However the DP6 currently only offers one colour (white) in the focus assist function whereas the VFM gives a choice of three colours. The VFM also has wave form and vectorscope monitoring. I was wondering how useful these two functions are in a field monitor.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Alister, I currently connect my EX3 via SDI into 056WP while also having a second camera pulled in using the HDMI. I have not tried 50p, only 30p, 60i, and 24p. The nice thing about the SmallHD is the remote, there isn't one with the TVLogic.

The 056WP has a series of colors that show for a range of exposures in the false colors. You can set the levels for the colors so it is very customizable. Also, it has settings to show when the chorma or luma are out of predetermined ranges. They call this feature range error and it's pretty useful. Almost like a high and low zebra for Y and C.

I use the waveform a lot to check my overall exposure so I find it very useful but it really depends on your procedure. It's what I'm use to looking at probably from a my editing practices. Also, sometimes I work with a color grader on set and when we feed him our picture he's always flipping between the waveform and vector scope on his monitors to verify everything is where he needs it to do his magic.

I usually used red for my focus assist as white or blue is often hard for me to distinguish quickly and if you turn up the peaking too much you can get false readings. But, I have had to change to a different color depending on the colors in the scene. So for me being able to choose the color for peaking is really important.

As I mentioned in a previous post I looked at both of these monitors closely when I was deciding. I had a SmallHD DP1 before so I was familiar with the build quality and I also have used TVLogic monitors on sets so the quality and reliability are about the same IMO, both top notch. Both monitors use the same screen so for me it came down to the features and as I mentioned before, on a side by side comparison the TVLogic seemed to have more accurate colors. Like Rob I got a very good deal on it so the small difference in cost was worth it to me.

-Garrett
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Trustee

Forgot another nice feature that the 056WP has, I'm not sure if the DP6 has, is it can display the TC and audio levels being fed through the SDI. Makes it nice so that I don't have to look at my camera viewfinder and call out to the scripty the TC at the beginning of each take.

-Garrett
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Garrett,

A reply in 27 minutes and another 5 later– how about that? I am currently visiting the US including some of your snow areas where the choice of white for focus assist would seem inappropriate. A selection of colours would be very desirable.

I have been in contact with Small HD and they “may” add more colours in future. To add waveform and vectorscope would require some form of attachment. Apparently they have had a lot of enquiries for these features.

Thanks again, I will see what prices I can find.

Alastair
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software