What monitor are you using in the field with your HDV camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM   #1
Trustee

What monitor are you using in the field with your HDV camera?

I'm about to get a HD100E and am looking at the options for a field monitor. What are you guys using as a field monitor for your Z1/FX1, HD1 and HD100?
I read of some using the Dell 2405, but it's a PC monitor and it doesn't seem to have component IN. Or maybe they are using it for editing only and I missunderstood. Besides 24" is a little big for field work IMO.
I also caught Shannon Rawls' thread on the Dell W1900 HD TV and it looks like the best option right now. He did a great job with the stand.
But I'm interested about what other people are using as well. The great thing would be finding a compact (under 20") 16:9 HD resolution capable monitor with firewire IN, so maybe one could see the footage after HDV compression.
Also, DC power possibility would be great. That may be an advantage in buying a PC monitor instead of a TV. If you find one with firewire or at least component IN, I think PC LCDs will run on external Laptop batteries. I know I could use a big car battery on an inverter though.
So, what's your HD field monitor?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The "monitor" which a lot are leaning towrds is the DV Rack (with HDV) option software which runs on a laptop - or pc for that matter.

This seems to be an effective solution since not only do you get a monitor, but also vectorscopes, waveform monitors etc etc.

I have used this for DV but have yet to try it with HDV but everyone who is using it for HDV are extremely happy with the results.

You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44273

Cheers
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Wrangler

Also have a look at this thread....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49646
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Also have a look at this thread....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49646
Yeah, that's actually my thread too. But it deals with a different matter. Besides, I couldn't find the monitors suggested in that thread. Some of them has been discontinued as the poster said.
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
The "monitor" which a lot are leaning towrds is the DV Rack (with HDV) option software which runs on a laptop - or pc for that matter.

This seems to be an effective solution since not only do you get a monitor, but also vectorscopes, waveform monitors etc etc.

I have used this for DV but have yet to try it with HDV but everyone who is using it for HDV are extremely happy with the results.

You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44273

Cheers

The problem I have with HDV rack is that is will most likely not play HDV in real time. Although my laptop is pretty fast. 3.4Ghz, 1gb RAM, 80Gb 7200RPM HDD, with a big 19" screen(although 4:3). It's extremelly power hungry and battery last about 30-50 min. depending on use.

Also, I don't know if I want to take my € 2,000 laptop to location. I would prefer taking the 700 bucks Dell W1900 plasma/LCD TV :)

Unless no ther alternative is left.
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #6
New Boot

component in

Dell 2405 has component in. It will accept 1080i, 1080p and 720p. 1080 will go 1 to 1 pixels transition what means perfect picture.
Thanks,
Wojtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I'm about to get a HD100E and am looking at the options for a field monitor. What are you guys using as a field monitor for your Z1/FX1, HD1 and HD100?
I read of some using the Dell 2405, but it's a PC monitor and it doesn't seem to have component IN. Or maybe they are using it for editing only and I missunderstood. Besides 24" is a little big for field work IMO.
I also caught Shannon Rawls' thread on the Dell W1900 HD TV and it looks like the best option right now. He did a great job with the stand.
But I'm interested about what other people are using as well. The great thing would be finding a compact (under 20") 16:9 HD resolution capable monitor with firewire IN, so maybe one could see the footage after HDV compression.
Also, DC power possibility would be great. That may be an advantage in buying a PC monitor instead of a TV. If you find one with firewire or at least component IN, I think PC LCDs will run on external Laptop batteries. I know I could use a big car battery on an inverter though.
So, what's your HD field monitor?
Wojtek Tryc is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software