DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Opinion needed: Westcott "April Shower Cloudscape" backdrop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/498363-opinion-needed-westcott-april-shower-cloudscape-backdrop.html)

John Nantz July 12th, 2011 12:07 PM

Opinion needed: Westcott "April Shower Cloudscape" backdrop

Although I'm really into video and not still photography, I have a need to do a lot of still photography in order to clean out an Estate and our own garage. I will have a backdrop support system with white/black/chroma green backdrops, or backgrounds, but I was thinking about getting this Westcott "Cloudscape" backdrop which I found for a fairly good price: 10' X 24' April Showers Cloudscape | Westcott Pro Photography and Video Lighting

I'm seeking opinions about what one could use it for?

The one thing I'm having real difficulty photographing is black-faced stereo equipment. With a white backdrop there is way too much contrast; the chroma green I've never used before, and I was thinking this "April Shower Cloudscape" might help. But I hate to buy it just for this one purpose so I need help with ideas about what else to use it for.

Furniture?
Still Pictures (with frames)?
Is it too light for portraits? A number of portraits I've seen use a dark background.

By the way, I will probably need "wife approval" and because I'm acquiring "stuff" to "get rid of stuff" it's going to need a good argument to support it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Shaun Roemich July 12th, 2011 04:03 PM

Re: Opinion needed: Westcott "April Shower Cloudscape" backdrop

Most photo studios have a mid gray/grey background as well. Depending on how much light you throw at the background, it can either:
- stay gray/grey
- go black
- go ALMOST white
- take on whatever color/colour you throw at it

My 2 cents.

John Nantz July 14th, 2011 12:01 AM

Looking for another backdrop too (Number 2)

Thanks for the info Shaun. I was originally thinking about a grey backdrop for the black electronics but short of buying new, and I'm rather budget oriented, this April Showers one I thought might work.

As it turns out, today I agreed to buy it and it's used but only used a couple times, and I'm working with the seller to pick it up. Also, it's 10 x 12 and not 10 x 24 as I previously posted.

While I haven't picked it up yet I'm already looking forward to the next one which will also be used. If anyone has some thoughts about what might be a complementary "workhorse" color and pattern it would be appreciated. Here is a link to Westcotts muslin collection:
Hand Painted Muslins | Westcott Pro Photography and Video Lighting

The "Number 2" is after the April Showers one. I'm not really counting the white/black/chroma green ones.