Sony PVM-1741 17" OLED at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony PVM-1741 17" OLED

Has anyone seen or used this monitor yet? Has anyone tried color grading with an OLED display, and if so, how were the results? Are there any serious downsides to using OLED?

Cheers.

Craig.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony PVM-1741 17" OLED

Have you ever used Sony's BVM series? Can you afford this monitor? Do you actually need this level of accuracy versus something like the Grade 1 Flanders Scientific LM-2461W ($5k)?

If you answer yes to all 3, then this Sony OLED is amazing. Its blacks are better than any LCD. If I needed this level of accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy; however, my Grade 1 Panasonic broadcast LCD and my Eizo CG243W work great for my broadcast projects.

What sort of work do you need this for and what would you be replacing?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steve.

Sorry I missed your post for the last 90 days. I have not used the BVM series put did have a PVM a number of years ago. This monitor is not as expensive as the Flanders. It's under 4k. I'm actually a dealer for Panasonic and Sony's consumer lines, but they allow us to purchase pro gear at near cost, as long as it's for personal use. I'm debating between this monitor and the Panasonic BT-LH2550P. I like the idea of a 25" display, but I'm not kean on LCD. Which Panasonic monitor are you using?
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Craig,

If you need a color critical monitor, then don't even wait another second - order the Sony. You will not be disappointed.

I have a recent video from my favorite educational/vfx training website, FXPHD.com where they discuss the Sony OLEDs as well as OLED in general. I recently watched it again (its from a few months ago) and I believe OLED's only weakness is flickering like the old CRTs.

Some benefits:
1) True blacks whereas LCDs lose chromacity as it nears black so very dark colors lose their color and become just black.
2) LCD has motion blur issues whereas OLED does not.
3) Far wider gamut can be displayed versus LCD.

I have the Panasonic BT-LH1710W which costs about $2800 and is only 1366x768. I also have an Eizo CG243W ($2300) connected via DisplayPort to my PC so I get 10bit from Windows 7, Premiere Pro CS5 and my Quadro FX3800.

If I needed something like the 17" monitor, I would do it different - either the Flanders Scientific 17" LED or the Sony 17" OLED PVM-1741 for $3600. I like the Sony because it is 1920x1080 whereas the Flanders is only 768p. However, the Flanders LM-1760WF can be powered by a brick battery (AB or v-mount) using only 39 watts.

I have used the Sony 7.4" OLED (PVM740) and if the larger PVM-1741 is anything like its smaller brother, then this monitor will be amazing.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Saw it the other day. Wasn't AS stunning as it's big brothers but very nice nevertheless.
Old October 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve, have you used a 17" monitor for color correction? How well did it work? I'm worried it might be a bit on the small side.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software