Analysis paralysis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Analysis paralysis

Ok - I know these questions have been posted before and I have searched... infact, I have searched to the point of being overwhelmed. I usually use a Marshall 7inch - various different ones... but now I have to buy one and I was hoping someone could point me to a monitor roundup? Or maybe at least suggest one that seems to fit all my wants & needs because as far as I can tell it does not exist.

My needs:
Cost less than $1250 with sun shade & screen protector.

HDMI & HD-SDI

peaking / false color

wants:
more than 800X rez

prefer 7 inch, but will take 5.6

I like the peaking / false color of Marshalls... I do not like the focus on the IKAN - and that looks a lot like the SmallHD... is it?

The TV Logic does not seem to have false color - right?

HDMI loop through

timecode and or audio meters displayed

Thanks,

Harry
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Analysis paralysis

Well after a few more trips to FilmTools to test what monitors they have in stock... I went with the SmallHD DP6.

LOVE the cost with the bundle / fit & finish / false color / menus / support / documentation and so on.

Learning to adjust to the focus assist... hoping for more 'standard' red / yellow peaking in a future firmware upgrade.

5.6 inch size is ok for me, but worried I might have to get a HDMI loop thru and a cheap 7+ inch for clients.

Over all its easily a B+ / A-
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Analysis paralysis

Hope you like the monitor Harry — be sure to post your impressions after you've used it for a while. I posted a similar question a while back and it prompted a pretty good discussion. Minimum size LCD for perfect focus? at DVinfo.net
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software