How to broadcast multiple media to ceremony / audience? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to broadcast multiple media to ceremony / audience?

I've searched the net online for an answer to this, but can't seem to find anything anywhere.

I've been commissioned to make a series of short films that will broadcast at an awards ceremony for a client. The evening will work like the BAFTAs or Oscars, with a series of pre-recorded short pieces (nominees up for an award, sponsor's ads, idents, bumpers, etc) being broadcast live via projector at a large theatre in front of 100s of people.

In previous years, my client has used other production companies and that have handed a DVD over. During the ceremony, the DVD was played and then 'paused' when going back to the live ceremony.

As I'm sure you will agree, this is not an ideal solution. Anything can go wrong, the DVD playback can be stopped by accident, or power failure, etc... will mean long delays before the program could be resumed.

I'm looking for another solution that would make this more viable and with less to go wrong. Ideally, a laptop playing the programs in the order they should be played would be best, but I don't know how to set this up. Is there any software out there that will do it?

I have a Screenplay Director unit that will play media in any order I choose - But how could this be done without displaying the program listings or other subtext I would not wish to be displayed in front of the audience?

At best, my currect idea is to author the DVD such that we have the array of programs in correct order of play and divided by chapters, but the 'interval' media repeats/loops until the user pushes the next chapter button. Even so, this is only marginally better than their current practice.

Are there any solutions I haven't thought of?
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: How to broadcast multiple media to ceremony / audience?

I haven't used this software, but possibly it might help. Appears optimised for webcasting, but you ought to be able to run the end programme out to a proper video source.

Webcasting Software - Wirecast 4 Overview - Telestream

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Vidblaster or Wirecast

Or rent a tricaster... I dont know what your budget is so its kind of hard to say.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #4

Ahh. I think the Vidblaster was the one that I was thinking of in my earlier post.

Andrew
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, you have pointed me in the right direction.

I'm checking out both of them now. I see that their primary use is for webcasting.
I guess for my use, the best hardware setup is to broadcast the feed/output to another computer and have that computer hooked up to the projector. My ideal solution would be to broadcast it directly to projector without having a 2nd computer involved, but not sure that is possible with this software.

Or am I looking at this incorrectly?!
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Projectors dont have ethernet slots.

No way to stream directly into a projector a couple hundred miles away. Another computer as to be involved. If there's a projector, just put a laptop next to it...
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #7

Just make sure you report back with your successful workflow when it's all done. Keen to know.

Andrew
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Okay, here's what I'm going to try... Been researching it all since last post.

I've been looking into Wirecast and Vidblaster. I seem drawn to Wirecast, it appears more stable to me. Vidblaster is a bit shaky on my machine.

On Wirecast you can set the external display output and choose a selected monitor or projector connected to the computer. For maximum Full HD output (1920x1080), I intend to use the DVI-D connection that my graphics card on my primary PC and the projector at the theatre both have. I will use a normal VGA monitor next to the PC as a backup plan (more on this in a moment). Because the projector at the theatre is rear projection, I will keep the main computer backstage and connected closely to the projector (which, of course, is also back stage).

So I can manage and time it all properly to the performances (I want to be front of house), I intend to install "Teamviewer 6" (available as a free non-commercial download from CNET) on both computers and remotely control my PC backstage with my laptop front of house to play the various programs at the required times.

Should the connection become severed during the event, or other such problem, I will need to control it backstage. This is unlikely though. I will test it all prior to the event.

Heck, with this setup, I could even pull my XH A1 in there and have a cameraman hooked up with a live feed of the event. That way, I could even switch to the winners coming up to the stage on the large screen behind.. All from a seat and my laptop in the audience. Would be great if this worked!
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm a huge fan of wirecast, with many webcasts under my belt, though I've never used it in presentation as proposed here. It will do the job, sure.

However, there are a lot of moving parts described in the workflow, above, and when it comes to live production, simpler is better!

Assuming that the run-of-show is known and won't deviate...

Were it me, I'd slam this together in powerpoint and be done. Just hit the right-arrow or space bar when it's time for the next clip. Slides between "clip" slides could be black, or, some sort of visual buffer. Heck, you could sell advertising on them...

The only gotcha in this is one that is easily controlled - powerpoint presentations with lots of video tend to be a little clumsy in moving between PCs. You gotta' be very careful to move all the assets, the video isn't actually embedded in the ppt file, and best to have clips in the same directory as the .ppt so they can easily be found by your presentation.

Now, you're back to a single PC hooked up to a projector via VGA or DVI or whatever.
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Seth -

That's a good idea. I will give PP a look into too. Although I don't appear to be losing any of the steps through using PP over Wirecast.

I think any solution like this is better than relying on one continuous program on DVD, using pause to wait between clips is bound to go wrong for them one day (and would prefer for it not to happen on my watch!)

Will update this thread when we've found the best solution.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Look into lyric projection / presentation software. We use this type of software to project text, lyrics, verses and play videos in church.

If I read your post correctly, this should fit your needs.

Look into: ProPresenter, MediaShout, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software