DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   SmallHD or Manhattan (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/501153-smallhd-manhattan.html)

Sanjin Svajger September 29th, 2011 12:52 PM

SmallHD or Manhattan

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of plunging for a new on camera monitor. I'm deciding between the SmallHD dp6 and the Manhattan HD5.

On the surface these two monitors look the same. Same resolution, almost the same functions, etc. Nothing that I would really need isn't missing from neither one. So to me it comes down to the price.

880 (including shipping) for the HD5
1250 (including shipping) for the DP6
that's a 370 dollars difference!

Can you guys help me decide? I'm inclined towards the HD5 but I haven't seen or heard or read a single review about it. Could somebody explain how the two monitors stack up to each other?

Is the DP6 THAT much better? Is the HD5 that worse?

THx
Br
S

Greg Clark September 29th, 2011 02:56 PM

Re: SmallHD or Manhattan

My HD Manhattan monitors work well. The only problem I have found is that zebras don't display.

Reed Phillips September 29th, 2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1685408)
Hi all,

1250 (including shipping) for the DP6

S

Do you need SDI inputs? I did not see those on the HD5, but I could be wrong. If not, you should consider
DP6-SLR Bundle. Great buy will all of the accessories.

You can always add SDI as an upgrade later if you like.

-reed

Dano Motley September 29th, 2011 04:25 PM

My 2 cents

I would get a TV logic monitor. It seems to outshine both of these.

http://www.tvlogicusa.com/product/vfm056.php

Dano

Peter Moretti September 29th, 2011 04:34 PM

It looks like the TV Logic doesn't have zebras but rather a "Y Level Check" display. Is that true?

Thanks.

Sanjin Svajger September 30th, 2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed Phillips (Post 1685459)
Do you need SDI inputs? I did not see those on the HD5, but I could be wrong. If not, you should consider
DP6-SLR Bundle. Great buy will all of the accessories.

You can always add SDI as an upgrade later if you like.

-reed

I'm sorry I had the "articulating arm" in the package. The DP6 is 1180 and the HD5 is 880. The shipping kills the deal.

TvLogic is 1300 without any add-ons. If I could I would get the TvLogic with waveform but it cost 1500 without anything.

HD5 or DP6 that's the choice:) It's just interesting that there is such a price difference. Does the HD5 have a worse panel or processing maybe?

Sanjin Svajger September 30th, 2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1685438)
My HD Manhattan monitors work well. The only problem I have found is that zebras don't display.

Which model do you have Greg?

Greg Clark September 30th, 2011 06:32 AM

I have Manhattan Model HD089A.

Kevin Walsh September 30th, 2011 06:58 AM

The HD5 is $632 from a couple of the DVi sponsors. I have the HD 071A. It is an OK monitor, not great but not bad. Build quality is probably not as good as the Small HD, but it is good enough for a cheap monitor. The HDMI on the HD 071A does not work properly with Sony Cameras, I don't know if this is a problem with their other monitors. They promised me a fix for this which never happened.

Sanjin Svajger September 30th, 2011 08:10 AM

It's 650 from the manhattan to. But ad a sunhood and a battery plate and shipping and there you are.

It's interesting how nobody has the HD5 or the new 8.9" also HD monitor. My only reason why I still haven't ordered the HD5 is because I haven't seen or heard any reviews about it...

Alastair Traill September 30th, 2011 04:28 PM

I bought the SDI version of the DP6 a few months ago even though the TV logic was more highly recommended on this site.
Some comments on my DP6: -

• The DP6 produces a very nice image although the colours are a bit off - I was warned.
• I am impressed by its construction.
• I find the scroll wheel difficult to press down on without causing it to rotate and change the setting to something else in the process. It needs more resistance to rotation or maybe it is just my unit.
• I would like to see a choice of peaking colours, I would prefer blue to the current white.
• It comes with an IR remote that I find very handy and easy to use.
• I am frustrated by the fact that there is currently no instruction manual even though I have been promised one for 3 months or so. I tend to be very influenced by the quality of a product’s manual, the instructional videos are OK but are impractical in the field.
• Although I bought the bundle I ended up building my DP6 into a free-standing unit from which I can control my two cameras.

Sanjin Svajger October 1st, 2011 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 1685699)
• It comes with an IR remote that I find very handy and easy to use.

Does the remote have some short cuts to functions maybe? The one thing that frustrates me about this two monitors is that both have no short cuts for their functions. Or does the DP6 have one I think...?

Alastair Traill October 1st, 2011 08:03 AM

Hi Sanjin,

A number of useful functions can be quickly accessed by the DP6 IR remote including the two false colour options, peaking, HDMI or SDI input options.

I have added an IR extender to my set-up so not only can I control the DP6 with its remote but also my TM900 and EX3 using their remotes.

Jim Martin October 1st, 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano Motley (Post 1685462)
My 2 cents

I would get a TV logic monitor. It seems to outshine both of these.

TVLogic ? 5.6" High-Resolution Compact LCD Monitor

Dano

I have never seen a monitor sell as many or so fast as the TV Logic 5.6 WP......it started with the the DSLR & AF100 people because it solved all the monitoring issues on the set.....and now here in Hollywood, it has become the De facto monitor on the set handling everything from DSLRs to Alexas.....even dolly grips are buying it because no matter what camera they are working with, the monitor can handle it, and pass it on HD SDI.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

*wow, I finally made the 400 club...only took me 7 years