video card upgrade - mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

video card upgrade - mac

I currently have a 2006 MacPro running a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I have never had any problems editing HDV video. Now that I am working with 1080 60p video I am sometimes seeing studdering in the converted pro res files in FCP 7.

Do you think it could be the video card and would an upgraded card be a good improvement?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: video card upgrade - mac

I'm in the same boat, as far as looking into upgrading the video card in my Mac pro, haven't found too many answers, as far as performance enhancements go.

Let me ask you this question, where is your source footage stored? Is it on the same drive as your OS and programs? When I first bought my mac pro, I just had the one drive, and was having performance issues with HD video. Once I added a media drive, I haven't had problems. I have a camera that shoots 60p, but haven't tested editing it on my system yet. Although I have recently set up a 2 drive RAID 0, so I'm getting great speed from my media drive.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: video card upgrade - mac

I have 2 additional internal drives for storage, no OS or software. I have not troubleshooted too much yet. Thought the card may be the answer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software