DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Portable monitor with built-in LUTs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/505465-portable-monitor-built-luts.html)

Steve Kimmel February 22nd, 2012 12:53 PM

Portable monitor with built-in LUTs

Are there any portable LCD monitors that have built-in LUTs? I'm looking for a monitor I can use with my Sony F3 when in s-log mode so I can view LUT on the monitor but record without LUT to the SxS card.

Thanks.

Chris Medico February 22nd, 2012 12:56 PM

Re: Portable monitor with built-in LUTs

The short answer is yes. Prepare to spend $3.5k. Panasonic makes one.

Steve Kimmel February 22nd, 2012 12:57 PM

Yikes! What screen size?

Chris Medico February 22nd, 2012 01:04 PM

I believe its 17".

I do not know of anything under 12" that supports a LUT.

Steve Kalle February 23rd, 2012 01:09 PM

I recommend against recording S-Log to the SxS cards because the 8bit 420 format can't handle 14 stops of Dynamic Range very well, which can result in posterizing and banding. If I must record S-Log to SxS only, I use a LUT to squeeze the DR down a bit as well as spread the data across the 255 values to prevent banding issues, but it doesn't eliminate it.

For external LUTs, you can use the BM HDLink ($495) and have it connected to an external monitor via SDI, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort (depending on the model).

Another option is using an Eizo LCD which can store LUTs and various preset & calibrated color spaces (I own the CG243W and love it, but I only use it for post).

Steve Kimmel February 23rd, 2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1716779)
I recommend against recording S-Log to the SxS cards because the 8bit 420 format can't handle 14 stops of Dynamic Range very well, which can result in posterizing and banding. If I must record S-Log to SxS only, I use a LUT to squeeze the DR down a bit as well as spread the data across the 255 values to prevent banding issues, but it doesn't eliminate it.

I agree, thus the reason for looking for a monitor that has built-in LUT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1716779)
For external LUTs, you can use the BM HDLink ($495) and have it connected to an external monitor via SDI, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort (depending on the model).

Another option is using an Eizo LCD which can store LUTs and various preset & calibrated color spaces (I own the CG243W and love it, but I only use it for post).

Thanks. Will look into these. Would any of this work with a portable (on-camera) monitor?

Steve Kalle February 23rd, 2012 03:01 PM

Yes, the HDLink works but I believe it requires a power source. I haven't used it before; so, I don't know how to engage its LUTs and switch between the stored LUTs. I assume a computer is needed and connected via USB.

PS I like the Rec709 (800%) LUT in the F3 when recording the the SxS cards. Here is a recent example of very lightly graded footage where I used a simple Curves effect (normal 'S' curve to boost contrast).