Portable monitor with built-in LUTs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Portable monitor with built-in LUTs

Are there any portable LCD monitors that have built-in LUTs? I'm looking for a monitor I can use with my Sony F3 when in s-log mode so I can view LUT on the monitor but record without LUT to the SxS card.

Thanks.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Portable monitor with built-in LUTs

The short answer is yes. Prepare to spend $3.5k. Panasonic makes one.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Yikes! What screen size?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I believe its 17".

I do not know of anything under 12" that supports a LUT.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Trustee

I recommend against recording S-Log to the SxS cards because the 8bit 420 format can't handle 14 stops of Dynamic Range very well, which can result in posterizing and banding. If I must record S-Log to SxS only, I use a LUT to squeeze the DR down a bit as well as spread the data across the 255 values to prevent banding issues, but it doesn't eliminate it.

For external LUTs, you can use the BM HDLink ($495) and have it connected to an external monitor via SDI, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort (depending on the model).

Another option is using an Eizo LCD which can store LUTs and various preset & calibrated color spaces (I own the CG243W and love it, but I only use it for post).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I recommend against recording S-Log to the SxS cards because the 8bit 420 format can't handle 14 stops of Dynamic Range very well, which can result in posterizing and banding. If I must record S-Log to SxS only, I use a LUT to squeeze the DR down a bit as well as spread the data across the 255 values to prevent banding issues, but it doesn't eliminate it.
I agree, thus the reason for looking for a monitor that has built-in LUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
For external LUTs, you can use the BM HDLink ($495) and have it connected to an external monitor via SDI, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort (depending on the model).

Another option is using an Eizo LCD which can store LUTs and various preset & calibrated color spaces (I own the CG243W and love it, but I only use it for post).
Thanks. Will look into these. Would any of this work with a portable (on-camera) monitor?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, the HDLink works but I believe it requires a power source. I haven't used it before; so, I don't know how to engage its LUTs and switch between the stored LUTs. I assume a computer is needed and connected via USB.

PS I like the Rec709 (800%) LUT in the F3 when recording the the SxS cards. Here is a recent example of very lightly graded footage where I used a simple Curves effect (normal 'S' curve to boost contrast).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software